No. 1 UConn cruises past SyracuseMar 1, 2011 - 3:01 AM Storrs, CT (Sports Network) - Maya Moore led the way with 23 points, eight rebounds and three steals, as No. 1 ranked Connecticut handled Syracuse, 82-47, in Big East action.
Tiffany Hayes hit 4-of-7 from three-point range to finish with 18 points for Connecticut (29-1, 16-0 Big East), which closed out its regular-season schedule by winning 17 straight since their 90-game winning streak was snapped by Stanford on December 30.
Kelly Faris had a solid game with nine points, eight boards and five assists, while Bria Hartley netted nine points in the victory.
Iasia Hemingway had a team-leading 13 points to go with seven boards for Syracuse (21-8, 9-7), which had a five-game winning streak halted. Erica Morrow had 11 points in defeat.
UConn jumped out to an 18-4 lead nearly 5 1/2 minutes into the contest. Hayes hit a pair of three-pointers, while Moore contributed six points during the quick start.
The Huskies held a comfortable advantage throughout the opening 20 minutes and Lauren Engeln's layup just ahead of the halftime buzzer sounding, gave Connecticut a 49-20 edge heading into the locker room.
Syracuse never threatened the outcome in the second half, trailing by double- digits throughout.
- SYRACUSE: 47
Feb 28 9:32 PM
- SYRACUSE: 20
Feb 28 8:29 PM
- SYRACUSE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 28 7:40 PM
- Connecticut wins 8th title in rout of Louisville Apr 10
- Cardinals, Huskies battle for NCAA title Apr 9
- Fourth Time's The Charm: UConn downs Notre Dame to reach title game Apr 8
- UConn cruises to sixth straight Final Four Apr 1
- Stewart shines as UConn coasts past Maryland Mar 30
- Auriemma inks five-year extension with UConn Mar 27
- UConn cruises against Commodores in Storrs Mar 25
- Creighton holds off Syracuse to advance Mar 23
- Top-seed UConn moves on with rout of Idaho Mar 23
- Notre Dame edges UConn for first Big East Tournament title Mar 12
- No. 3 UConn beats Syracuse for spot in Big East final Mar 11
- Stewart leads No. 3 UConn past DePaul in Big East quarters Mar 10