Duke punches ticket to the Sweet 16Mar 22, 2011 - 2:27 AM Durham, NC (Sports Network) - Jasmine Thomas scored 17 points to lead the Duke Blue Devils to a 71-66 victory over the Marist Red Foxes in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Cameroon Indoor Stadium.
Chelsea Gray added 13 points for the second-seeded Blue Devils (31-3), who will now take on DePaul in the Round of 16. Haley Peters contributed 12 points, while Karima Christmas and Krystal Thomas finished with 11 and 10 points, respectively.
Marist (31-3), which was playing as the 10th seed, was led by Corielle Yarde's double-double of 25 points and 12 rebounds, and the team also received 14 points from Kate Oliver.
Marist held Duke to a woeful 32.4 percent shooting effort in the first half and went into the break with a 31-26 lead.
However, the Blue Devils fought back thanks to a 55.2 percent shooting effort over the final 20 minutes of action.
Duke scored 28 points off of 20 Marist turnovers, and the Blue Devils also received 29 points from their bench players.
The loss snapped Marist's 27-game winning streak, which was the largest in the nation.
- MARIST: 66
Mar 21 9:08 PM
- MARIST: 31
Mar 21 8:00 PM
- MARIST: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 21 7:16 PM
- Duke extends McCallie through 2019 Apr 19
- Second half surge sends Fighting Irish to the Final Four Apr 2
- Duke puts the clamps on Nebraska to become Elite Mar 31
- Duke rallies from halftime deficit to dispatch Oklahoma State Mar 26
- Blue Devils triumph in first round yet again Mar 24
- Spartans deny upset-minded Red Foxes Mar 23
- Duke routs UNC in ACC title game Mar 10
- No. 6 Duke downs No. 23 FSU in ACC semis Mar 9
- No. 6 Duke prevails in ACC quarters Mar 8
- No. 5 Duke overcomes 15th-ranked UNC Mar 3
- Miami-Florida knocks off No. 5 Duke Feb 28
- Duke rolls over Maryland to clinch ACC regular-season title Feb 24