Rodgers' career-high powers GeorgetownMar 23, 2011 - 3:15 AM College Park, MD (Sports Network) - Sugar Rodgers scored a career-high 34 points as the fifth-seeded Georgetown Hoyas downed the fourth-seeded Maryland Terrapins, 79-57, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament from the Comcast Center.
Rubylee Wright and Monica McNutt each added 14 points for the Hoyas (24-10), who advanced to face top-seeded Connecticut, while Alexa Roche had 10 points.
Maryland (24-8) was paced by Alyssa Thomas' 23 points and 14 boards, while Laurin Mincy had 12 points and Lynetta Kizer recorded a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
Georgetown jumped out to a 40-26 halftime lead behind a 10-of-15 performance from beyond the arc.
The Hoyas then knocked down 22-of-24 second half free throws to earn the victory.
In all, Georgetown shot 52 percent three-point range and 85.7 percent from the charity stripe.
- Stewart shines as UConn coasts past Maryland Mar 30
- Terps tackle Michigan State in second round Mar 25
- Fourth-seed Maryland rolls over 13th-seed Quinnipiac Mar 23
- No. 15 UNC storms back to down No. 10 Maryland in ACC semis Mar 9
- Thomas shines as Maryland advances past Wake Forest in OT Mar 8
- Hawkins, Maryland cruise past Wake Forest Mar 3
- Deluzio's second chance lifts No. 24 FSU past No.9 Maryland Feb 28
- Duke rolls over Maryland to clinch ACC regular-season title Feb 24
- Thomas, Maryland roll over Boston College Feb 21
- Thomas leads Maryland in a rout of Virginia Feb 17
- No. 7 Maryland cruises past Clemson Feb 14
- Gray guides Duke over Maryland Feb 11