Green Bay extends win streak, advances to Sweet 16Mar 23, 2011 - 5:22 AM Wichita, KS (Sports Network) - Adrian Ritchie scored 20 points to lead the fifth-seeded Green Bay Phoenix past the fourth-seeded Michigan State Spartans, 65-56, in a second round NCAA Tournament matchup from INTRUST Bank Arena.
Julie Wojta added 18 points for Green Bay (34-1), which earned its 25th straight victory and advanced to face Baylor, while Celeste Hoewisch had 14 points and Kayla Tetschlag recorded a double-double with 10 points and 12 boards.
Kalisha Keane scored 20 points for Michigan State (27-6), but committed seven turnovers. Brittney Thomas added 10 points, while LyKendra Johnson and Cetera Washington grabbed 11 and 10 rebounds, respectively.
The Phoenix played stifling defense from the opening tip, holding the Spartans to just 33.3 percent first half shooting, to take a 35-23 lead into the break.
The second half saw Green Bay knock down 14-of-20 free throws to seal the victory.
In all, Michigan State shot just 37.3 percent from the floor.
- WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 65
MICHIGAN STATE: 56
Mar 22 11:39 PM
- WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 35
MICHIGAN STATE: 23
Mar 22 10:26 PM
- WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 0
MICHIGAN STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 22 9:40 PM
- Terps tackle Michigan State in second round Mar 25
- Lady Tigers escape first-round scare Mar 24
- Spartans deny upset-minded Red Foxes Mar 23
- Spartans upend Penn State to advance to Big Ten final Mar 9
- Penn State overcomes slow start to down Michigan State Feb 10
- Lady Lions cruise past Spartans Jan 6
- Borseth returning to coach Green Bay women Apr 4
- Kentucky fends off furious Green Bay rally to move on Mar 20
- Hot first half leads Phoenix past Cyclones Mar 17
- Strong first half helps Lady Cardinals soar past Michigan State Mar 17
- Green Bay downs Detroit to capture Horizon League title Mar 11
- No. 10 Green Bay downs UIC, advances to Horizon title game Mar 10