Griner, Baylor block UConn in No. 1 showdownDec 19, 2011 - 4:05 AM
Odyssey Sims added 23 points on 7-of-11 shooting for the Lady Bears, who are off to their first 11-0 start since 2001-02.
Bria Hartley netted 25 points to lead Connecticut (9-1), which shot 29 of its 57 field goal attempts from beyond the arc.
The Huskies made 11 three-pointers, but went cold over the final eight minutes, getting outscored, 17-7.
Griner, who broke Courtney Paris' Big 12 record of 446 career blocks, scored eight points in the first 6 1/2 minutes, including back-to-back buckets to put Baylor on top, 16-8.
But UConn controlled the final six minutes of the opening half, running off 13 of 15 points to take a 34-28 lead into the break.
The Huskies, who had won 10 straight against top-five opponents, led by as many as 11 in the second half. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis scored her 14th and 15th point on a jumper to give UConn a 50-39 cushion with 13:17 remaining, but the star freshman did not score the rest of the way.
Baylor scored the next 10 points, then went ahead, 55-54, on a Griner free throw with 5 1/2 minutes to play. Kelly Faris answered with two free throws with 4:50 to play on UConn's first trip to the stripe.
Terran Condrey countered with a go-ahead three-pointer, Griner scored the next two times down to keep the Lady Bears in front, and the top-ranked team held on from there to extended their home winning streak to 29.
- CONNECTICUT: 61
Dec 18 10:30 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 34
Dec 18 9:15 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 18 8:56 PM
- No. 2 UConn routs No. 1 South Carolina Feb 9
- Auriemma gets 900th win as UConn routs Cincy Feb 3
- Stanford ends UConn's winning streak Nov 18
- UConn left standing in battle for perfection Apr 9
- UConn's Stewart wins women's Naismith Trophy Apr 7
- UConn ousts Stanford, sets up showdown with Notre Dame Apr 7
- Huskies dispose of Aggies, make plans for Final Four Mar 31
- Notre Dame downs Baylor, advances to Final Four Mar 31
- Strong second half has Huskies headed to Elite Eight Mar 29
- Sims reaches 1,000, sends Baylor to Elite Eight Mar 29
- Huskies cruise past Hawks in second round Mar 25
- Sims powers Baylor over California Mar 24