Griner, Baylor block UConn in No. 1 showdownDec 19, 2011 - 4:05 AM
Odyssey Sims added 23 points on 7-of-11 shooting for the Lady Bears, who are off to their first 11-0 start since 2001-02.
Bria Hartley netted 25 points to lead Connecticut (9-1), which shot 29 of its 57 field goal attempts from beyond the arc.
The Huskies made 11 three-pointers, but went cold over the final eight minutes, getting outscored, 17-7.
Griner, who broke Courtney Paris' Big 12 record of 446 career blocks, scored eight points in the first 6 1/2 minutes, including back-to-back buckets to put Baylor on top, 16-8.
But UConn controlled the final six minutes of the opening half, running off 13 of 15 points to take a 34-28 lead into the break.
The Huskies, who had won 10 straight against top-five opponents, led by as many as 11 in the second half. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis scored her 14th and 15th point on a jumper to give UConn a 50-39 cushion with 13:17 remaining, but the star freshman did not score the rest of the way.
Baylor scored the next 10 points, then went ahead, 55-54, on a Griner free throw with 5 1/2 minutes to play. Kelly Faris answered with two free throws with 4:50 to play on UConn's first trip to the stripe.
Terran Condrey countered with a go-ahead three-pointer, Griner scored the next two times down to keep the Lady Bears in front, and the top-ranked team held on from there to extended their home winning streak to 29.
- CONNECTICUT: 61
Dec 18 10:30 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 34
Dec 18 9:15 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 18 8:56 PM
- Obama honors UConn women for another national championship May 10
- Duke's Azura Stevens transfers to UConn Apr 30
- UConn coach Geno Auriemma released from the hospital Apr 19
- UConn coach Auriemma hospitalized with undisclosed illness Apr 17
- UConn star Morgan Tuck to enter WNBA draft Apr 6
- Returning UConn players say they're ready to take baton Apr 6
- UConn skips campus parade due to weather, will rally indoors Apr 6
- Four-Peat: UConn beats 'Cuse for 4th straight national title Apr 6
- Syracuse-UConn Preview Apr 4
- Tuck and Stewart lead UConn back to the title game Apr 3
- Oregon St.-UConn Preview Apr 2
- Oregon State and UConn take different paths to Final Four Apr 2