Griner, Baylor block UConn in No. 1 showdownDec 19, 2011 - 4:05 AM
Odyssey Sims added 23 points on 7-of-11 shooting for the Lady Bears, who are off to their first 11-0 start since 2001-02.
Bria Hartley netted 25 points to lead Connecticut (9-1), which shot 29 of its 57 field goal attempts from beyond the arc.
The Huskies made 11 three-pointers, but went cold over the final eight minutes, getting outscored, 17-7.
Griner, who broke Courtney Paris' Big 12 record of 446 career blocks, scored eight points in the first 6 1/2 minutes, including back-to-back buckets to put Baylor on top, 16-8.
But UConn controlled the final six minutes of the opening half, running off 13 of 15 points to take a 34-28 lead into the break.
The Huskies, who had won 10 straight against top-five opponents, led by as many as 11 in the second half. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis scored her 14th and 15th point on a jumper to give UConn a 50-39 cushion with 13:17 remaining, but the star freshman did not score the rest of the way.
Baylor scored the next 10 points, then went ahead, 55-54, on a Griner free throw with 5 1/2 minutes to play. Kelly Faris answered with two free throws with 4:50 to play on UConn's first trip to the stripe.
Terran Condrey countered with a go-ahead three-pointer, Griner scored the next two times down to keep the Lady Bears in front, and the top-ranked team held on from there to extended their home winning streak to 29.
- CONNECTICUT: 61
Dec 18 10:30 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 34
Dec 18 9:15 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 18 8:56 PM
- Nurse scores 20 as UConn routs East Carolina 92-46 3:26p
- No. 2 South Carolina vs. No. 1 UConn Gamecocks 1st sellout Fri
- Breanna Stewart, top-ranked UConn overwhelm Tulane 96-38 Wed
- Jones perfect for No. 4 Baylor in 87-52 win over K-State Wed
- Jones, Mompremier lead No. 4 Baylor women over No. 24 WVU Jan 30
- UConn routs Memphis 83-40 for 57th consecutive win Jan 30
- UConn rolls to season-high 64 point win over Tulsa Jan 27
- No. 4 Baylor tops Texas Tech 69-43 for another 20-win season Jan 27
- No. 1 UConn beats SMU 90-37, runs winning streak to 55. Jan 23
- No. 4 Baylor cruises past Iowa State 77-61 Jan 23
- No. 1 UConn women top UCF 106-51 for 54th win in a row Jan 20
- Jones and No. 6 Baylor hand No. 4 Texas first loss 80-67 Jan 17