Liston leads No. 7 Duke past Virginia in ACC openerJan 3, 2012 - 2:38 AM Durham, NC (Sports Network) - Tricia Liston scored 18 points and pulled down seven rebounds as No. 7 Duke took down Virginia with a 77-66 victory in the ACC opener for both teams.
Haley Peters added 13 points, Richa Jackson had 12 and Chelsea Gray contributed 11 with eight assists for the Blue Devils (10-2, 1-0 ACC), who stretched their win streak to 23 games in Cameron Indoor Stadium against ACC opponents.
Ataira Franklin recorded game-highs of 19 points and 12 rebounds for Virginia (12-3, 0-1), but it was not enough to give Cavaliers head coach Joanne Boyle a victory in her return to Durham.
Boyle is a former player and assistant coach for the Blue Devils.
Duke held a slim, 35-32, advantage at halftime as Virginia matched the Blue Devils shot-for-shot in the first half, with Duke shooting 58.3 percent from the floor and Virginia connecting on 45.8 percent of its shots.
But in the second half Virginia was held to just 34.4 percent shooting and Duke pulled away with an early 10-2 run after Franklin's three-pointer brought the Cavaliers within 41-37.
Virginia never led in the contest and the score was tied just twice.
- VIRGINIA: 66
Jan 2 8:59 PM
- VIRGINIA: 32
Jan 2 7:55 PM
- VIRGINIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 2 7:08 PM
- Gray leads No. 2 Duke over No. 9 Cal Nov 10
- Duke extends McCallie through 2019 Apr 19
- Second half surge sends Fighting Irish to the Final Four Apr 2
- Duke puts the clamps on Nebraska to become Elite Mar 31
- Duke rallies from halftime deficit to dispatch Oklahoma State Mar 26
- Blue Devils triumph in first round yet again Mar 24
- Duke routs UNC in ACC title game Mar 10
- No. 6 Duke downs No. 23 FSU in ACC semis Mar 9
- No. 6 Duke prevails in ACC quarters Mar 8
- No. 5 Duke overcomes 15th-ranked UNC Mar 3
- Miami-Florida knocks off No. 5 Duke Feb 28
- Duke rolls over Maryland to clinch ACC regular-season title Feb 24