No. 10 Miami beats Virginia Tech by 31Jan 24, 2012 - 2:57 AM Coral Gables, FL (Sports Network) - Stefanie Yderstrom scored a game-high 22 points and No. 10 Miami-Florida dominated Virginia Tech, 79-48, on Monday.
Shenise Johnson, who was honored before the game for scoring her 2,000th career point, had 18 points and six steals for Miami (17-3, 6-1 ACC).
Shawnice Wilson contributed 12 points and five rebounds for the Hurricanes, who have won six straight games.
Monet Tellier led the Hokies (6-14, 2-5) with 18 points and Aerial Wilson added 15 but it wasn't enough as Virginia Tech dropped its fifth straight.
The Hurricanes opened the game on a 15-1 run and never looked back.
Their defense held the Hokies to 18 points in the first half on 6-of-27 shooting (22.2 percent), including 0-for-10 from three-point range, and they took a 42-18 lead into the break.
The second half was much of the same with Virginia Tech shooting a woeful 9- for-28 from the field. The Hokies were never able to cut into the Hurricanes' 24-point halftime lead as Miami went on to a wire-to-wire victory.
The Hokies will look to get back on track in their next game at Maryland while the Hurricanes play host to Wake Forest. Both games are Thursday.
- Iowa uses second-half surge to upend Miami-Florida Mar 24
- Miami-Florida knocks off No. 5 Duke Feb 28
- Duke hammers Virginia Tech again Feb 14
- Duke women erupt in second half to rout Miami Jan 31
- No. 4 Duke crushes Virginia Tech Jan 16
- No. 10 Maryland handles Virginia Tech Jan 13
- Pavlech pushes 10th-ranked Terrapins past Hurricanes Jan 10
- Miami-Florida rewards Meier with two-year extension Mar 27
- 11th-seeded Gonzaga continues improbable run to Sweet 16 Mar 20
- Hurricanes breeze by Idaho State to advance Mar 17
- Wake Forest pulls off upset over Miami-Florida Mar 2
- Miami-Florida decimates Boston College Feb 26