No. 8 Maryland sends No. 5 Duke to first conference lossFeb 19, 2012 - 11:31 PM
The Terrapins (23-4, 10-4 ACC) have won two in a row and five of their last six. They got 17 points from Laurin Mincy and 12 from Lynetta Kizer to send Duke to its first conference loss of the season.
Elizabeth Williams scored 19 points for the Blue Devils (22-4, 13-1), who had won five straight entering Sunday. Chelsea Gray chipped in 16 points.
Duke had won 16 straight ACC games dating back to last season.
On Sunday, the Blue Devils led 17-5 after 10 minutes, but the Terrapins battled back to tie it at 24 on Kizer's layup late in the first half.
Duke held a 29-28 advantage at the break and was up 45-38 with 12 minutes to play. Alyssa Thomas followed with five straight points, draining a pair of foul shots and then a three-pointer to pull Maryland within two and trigger the close finish.
Hawkins' three-point play had the Terrapins on top, 61-59, with 43 seconds left but Gray answered on the other end with a layup. Hawkins then struck again, scoring the game-winner in close and Thomas blocked Haley Peters' last second shot to seal the result.
- DUKE: 61
Feb 19 4:58 PM
- DUKE: 29
Feb 19 3:47 PM
- DUKE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 19 3:06 PM
- Duke extends McCallie through 2019 Apr 19
- Second half surge sends Fighting Irish to the Final Four Apr 2
- Duke puts the clamps on Nebraska to become Elite Mar 31
- Stewart shines as UConn coasts past Maryland Mar 30
- Duke rallies from halftime deficit to dispatch Oklahoma State Mar 26
- Terps tackle Michigan State in second round Mar 25
- Blue Devils triumph in first round yet again Mar 24
- Fourth-seed Maryland rolls over 13th-seed Quinnipiac Mar 23
- Duke routs UNC in ACC title game Mar 10
- No. 15 UNC storms back to down No. 10 Maryland in ACC semis Mar 9
- No. 6 Duke downs No. 23 FSU in ACC semis Mar 9
- Thomas shines as Maryland advances past Wake Forest in OT Mar 8