Notre Dame beats Huskies again, this time in ConnecticutFeb 28, 2012 - 4:45 AM Notre Dame lock up its first outright Big East regular season title with an emphatic 72-59 win over No. 4 Connecticut at XL Center.
The Fighting Irish (28-2, 15-1 Big East) forced 18 turnovers and had 25 second-chance points to upend UConn for the third straight time.
The Huskies (26-4, 13-3) have now dropped two in a row at home after having their 99-game home winning streak snapped by Saint John's on February 18.
Tiffany Hayes paced UConn with 22 points, while Stefanie Dolson netted 18 in the loss. The Huskies had not lost three Big East regular season games since the 2004-05 season.
The Irish, who led 38-35 at halftime, held the Huskies without a point over the final 7 1/2 minutes, finishing the game on a 9-0 run.
Diggins and Brittany Mallory made consecutive three-pointers during the flurry for a 69-59 advantage with five minutes left, and Notre Dame never looked back in posting a new school record with its 10th win over a ranked opponent.
Notre Dame will be the No. 1 seed in the Big East Tournament, while the Huskies will be seeded third.
- NOTRE DAME: 72
Feb 27 11:03 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 38
Feb 27 9:57 PM
- NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 27 9:10 PM
- Connecticut wins 8th title in rout of Louisville Apr 10
- Cardinals, Huskies battle for NCAA title Apr 9
- Fourth Time's The Charm: UConn downs Notre Dame to reach title game Apr 8
- Second half surge sends Fighting Irish to the Final Four Apr 2
- UConn cruises to sixth straight Final Four Apr 1
- Diggins sets school scoring record as Notre Dame routs Kansas Mar 31
- Stewart shines as UConn coasts past Maryland Mar 30
- Auriemma inks five-year extension with UConn Mar 27
- Career-night from McBride allows Notre Dame to outlast Iowa Mar 27
- UConn cruises against Commodores in Storrs Mar 25
- Loyd, McBride lead top-seeded Notre Dame over UT Martin Mar 24
- Top-seed UConn moves on with rout of Idaho Mar 23