Purdue charges past Jackrabbits in first round actionMar 17, 2012 - 9:06 PM West Lafayette, IN (Sports Network) - Courtney Moses knocked down a first round record nine three-pointers on her way to a game-high 29 points to lead the fourth-seeded Purdue Boilermakers as they took down the 13th-seeded South Dakota State Jackrabbits, 83-68, in the 2012 NCAA Women's Tournament at Mackey Arena.
Brittany Rayburn and KK Houser chipped in 12 points each and combined for 13 assists for the Boilermakers (25-8), who will take on the No. 5 seed, South Carolina, in the next round. Sam Ostarello pulled down 11 rebounds for Purdue.
Jill Young went 5-of-6 from the field to score 19 points for South Dakota State (24-9), while Jennie Sunnarborg tallied 17 points. Ashley Eide added nine points and a team-high seven rebounds for the Summit League champion Jackrabbits.
Purdue took a 38-33 lead into the intermission after it hit 47.1 percent of its field goal attempts including 5-of-11 from distance in the opening frame. The Jackrabbits hung around by shooting 44.8 percent from the floor in the first half.
South Dakota State struggled after the break and connected on just 34.6 percent of its attempts from the field. The Boilermakers created distance by hitting 6-of-11 from three-point range in the final 20 minutes.
Purdue racked up 13 steals as it forced the Jackrabbits into 15 turnovers.
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE: 66
Mar 17 3:19 PM
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE: 33
Mar 17 2:13 PM
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 17 1:33 PM
- Louisville downs Purdue, earns spot in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Boilermakers shoot past Lady flames into second round Mar 24
- Gamecocks trounce Jackrabbits, earn spot in second round Mar 23
- Penn State downs Purdue to take top spot in Big Ten standings Feb 4
- Notre Dame pummels Purdue in top-25 battle Dec 29
- Lady Gamecocks top Purdue in second round bout Mar 19
- Rayburn lifts Purdue over Penn State in Big Ten semis Mar 4
- Prahalis helps Ohio State outlast Purdue Feb 12
- Connecticut advances to Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Purdue advances with strong defense Mar 20
- South Dakota State no match for Xavier Mar 20