Strong second half leads DePaul over BYUMar 18, 2012 - 1:19 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Anna Martin scored 17 points as the seventh- seeded DePaul Blue Demons held off the 10th-seeded BYU Cougars 59-55 in the first round of the NCAA Women's Tournament at Allstate Arena.
Brittany Hrynko netted 15 points for DePaul (23-10), while Katherine Harry and Jasmine Penny added 12 points apiece.
For BYU (26-7), Jennifer Hamson notched 21 points and 11 rebounds, while Kristen Riley also tallied a double-double with 10 points and 12 boards.
Though BYU shot just 35.7 percent from the field in the first half, it went 7- of-8 from the foul line and took a 29-27 advantage into halftime.
The Blue Demons separated themselves from the Cougars after the break by opening the second half on a 14-0 run to take a 41-29 lead with 14:35 remaining. A three-point play from Hamson brought BYU back to within three, 56-53, with 1:23 left, but it would get no closer.
Awaiting DePaul in the second round is second-seeded Tennessee, which defeated Tennessee-Martin earlier in the day.
- BYU: 55
Mar 17 8:17 PM
- BYU: 29
Mar 17 7:10 PM
- BYU: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 17 6:31 PM
- DePaul extends Bruno Jan 14
- Texas A&M rides Walker to regional final Mar 29
- Strong second half has Huskies headed to Elite Eight Mar 29
- Cougars topple Cornhuskers Mar 25
- Rogowski leads DePaul in upset over Duke Mar 24
- Eaton, Hamson shine as BYU upsets NC State Mar 22
- DePaul avoids collapse against Oklahoma Mar 22
- DePaul extends Bruno's contract through 2019 Oct 18
- A pair of double-doubles powers Cowgirls past DePaul Mar 24
- Stewart leads No. 3 UConn past DePaul in Big East quarters Mar 10
- Diggins' triple-double fuels Notre Dame in rout of DePaul Feb 24
- Smith guides Louisville over DePaul Feb 17