Georgia bows to Red Foxes in first roundMar 18, 2012 - 8:52 PM Tallahassee, FL (Sports Network) - Corielle Yarde registered a team-best 21 points as Marist upset Georgia, 76-70, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Tucker Center.
The 13th seed in the Raleigh Region, the Red Foxes (26-7) also saw Brandy Gang drop 18 points and Casey Dulin 11, while Kelsey Beynnon accounted for eight points and a game-high 10 rebounds.
The fourth-seeded Lady Bulldogs (22-9) were paced by Khaalidah Miller who scored 21 points, shooting 5-of-12 behind the three-point line, followed by Meredith Mitchell and Jasmine James with 15 and 12 points, respectively.
Georgia led by as many as six points in the first half, the teams working through four ties and six lead changes in the frame. The Red Foxes eventually put up a 37-32 advantage at the break thanks to 54.5 percent shooting from the floor and 5-of-9 behind the three-point line in the period.
In the second half the squads again continued to trade leads, but Marist made good on 50 percent from the field and 13-of-17 at the free-throw line in order to put some distance between itself and the Lady Bulldogs.
Marist, which will now challenge St. Bonaventure which needed overtime to advance to the second round, survived despite turning the ball over 17 times and capturing just five offensive rebounds.
- MARIST: 76
Mar 18 1:55 PM
- MARIST: 37
Mar 18 12:50 PM
- MARIST: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 18 12:06 PM
- Clarendon leads Cal to first-ever Final Four Apr 2
- Georgia upsets top-seeded Stanford, advances to Elite Eight Mar 31
- Barbee leads the way as Georgia outlasts Iowa State to keep stay alive Mar 26
- Bulldogs put the bite on Grizzlies Mar 23
- Spartans deny upset-minded Red Foxes Mar 23
- Kentucky cruises past Georgia in SEC semifinals Mar 9
- LSU knocks off No. 9 Georgia Feb 10
- Hassell helps No. 9 Georgia hold off Auburn Feb 7
- No. 13 Georgia upends No. 8 Kentucky Feb 3
- Strong second half leads Tennessee over Georgia Jan 6
- No. 10 Georgia cruises past Missouri Jan 3
- No. 7 Kentucky thumps Marist Dec 30