Gators gain win over OSU in NCAA TournamentMar 18, 2012 - 8:50 PM Bowling Green, OH (Sports Network) - Jennifer George scored 16 points and pulled down six rebounds as Florida defeated Ohio State, 70-65, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at the Stroh Center.
The ninth seed in the Des Moines Region, the Gators (20-12) also saw Lanita Bartley and Jaterra Bonds score 15 and 11 points, respectively, in the triumph.
The eighth-seeded Buckeyes were paced by Tayler Smith who scored a game-high 23 points, followed by Amber Stokes with 12 in the losing cause. Working hard in the paint was Ashley Adams who not only registered a double-double with 11 points and a game-high 14 rebounds, she also logged a game-high seven blocked shots as well.
Florida scored the first points of the afternoon and never looked back, the Gators getting away with just 35.7 percent shooting from the floor in the first half because they made good on 7-of-16 behind the three-point line, en route to a 39-31 edge at the break.
In the second half Florida again shot the ball poorly from the field (.344) but had given itself enough of a cushion in order to hold on for the five- point victory.
The Gators, who will now face off against the undefeated and top-ranked Baylor Bears, won the battle of the boards, 46-35, limiting OSU to just six rebounds at the offensive end of the floor while they collected 20 which were traded in for 16 second-chance points.
- FLORIDA: 70
OHIO STATE: 65
Mar 18 2:09 PM
- FLORIDA: 39
OHIO STATE: 31
Mar 18 12:58 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 18 12:17 PM
- Ohio State names McGuff women's hoops coach Apr 16
- Foster out as women's hoops coach at Ohio State Mar 20
- No. 8 Lady Lions best Buckeyes in Big Ten quarters Mar 9
- Tennessee dispatches Florida in SEC quarters Mar 8
- No. 8 Penn State dominates Ohio State in second half Jan 27
- Lady Vols prevail in OT Jan 13
- Kentucky sets school record in win over Florida Jan 3
- Griner dunks Florida, leads Lady Bears to Sweet 16 Mar 20
- No. 10 Kentucky advances with comeback win over Florida Mar 2
- No. 23 Nebraska upsets No. 8 Ohio State Feb 26
- No. 10 Tennessee tops Florida Feb 26