Cal captures win over Iowa in first roundMar 18, 2012 - 8:53 PM Notre Dame, IN (Sports Network) - Layshia Clarendon scored a game-high 16 points, leading five players in double figures, as California defeated Iowa, 84-74, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at Purcell Pavilion.
Also scoring in double figures for the eighth-seeded Golden Bears (25-9) was Brittany Boyd who not only tallied 15 points, she filled out her stat line with eight assists, six rebounds and six steals. Off the bench, Reshanda Gray accounted for 14 points and six boards in just 13 minutes of action, followed by Gennifer Brandon and Talia Caldwell with 11 points apiece, the latter capturing a game-high nine rebounds as well.
The ninth-seeded Hawkeyes (19-12) were paced by Kamille Wahlin with 15 points, followed by Kelly Krei, Morgan Johnson and Theairra Taylor with 14 points each. Samantha Logic responded with a double-double consisting of 11 points and a game-high 11 assists in the loss.
Both teams shot the ball well from the field in the first half, hitting better than 51 percent from the floor, and even though Cal connected on just 1-of-7 behind the three-point line in the period, the Golden Bears were the ones who delivered a 42-33 lead at the break.
In the second half California dipped to 40.0 percent shooting from the field, but the team outscored Iowa at the free-throw line in the frame, 12-3, in order to keep the lead and cruise to the double-digit victory.
The Golden Bears, who will play Notre Dame in the second round, forced 18 turnovers and won the battle of the boards, 41-29.
- IOWA: 74
Mar 18 2:09 PM
- IOWA: 33
Mar 18 12:58 PM
- IOWA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 18 12:11 PM
- Gray leads No. 2 Duke over No. 9 Cal Nov 10
- Louisville rallies in second half to reach title game Apr 7
- Clarendon leads Cal to first-ever Final Four Apr 2
- Second-half surge springs Cal past LSU Mar 31
- Career-night from McBride allows Notre Dame to outlast Iowa Mar 27
- California outlasts South Florida in overtime to earn Sweet 16 berth Mar 26
- Iowa uses second-half surge to upend Miami-Florida Mar 24
- Boyd and Bears bounce Fresno State Mar 23
- No. 14 UCLA knocks off No. 5 Cal in Pac-12 semis Mar 10
- No. 5 California handles USC in Pac-12 quarters Mar 8
- California rolls over Washington, claims share of Pac-12 title Mar 2
- Clarendon guides California past Washington State Mar 1