The Huskies slow down Penn State to advance to regional finalMar 26, 2012 - 1:08 AM Kingston, RI (Sports Network) - Bria Hartley scored 20 points to lead the top- seeded Connecticut Huskies to a 77-59 victory over the fourth-seeded Penn State Lady Lions in the Sweet Sixteen of the 2012 NCAA Women's Tournament at the Thomas. M Ryan Center.
Kelly Faris added 15 points to help UConn (32-4) advance to the Elite 8 for the seventh season in a row. Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis recorded a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds while Stefanie Dolson and Tiffany Hayes scored 10 points each.
Mia Nickson scored 19 points to lead Penn State (26-7), while Maggie Lucas netted 15 points. Alex Bentley chipped in 11 points and Talia East grabbed 10 rebounds for the Lady Lions. who had averaged 87.5 ppg in their first two games of the tourney.
The Huskies took a 43-29 lead into halftime after they shot 50 percent from the floor in the opening period. Penn State made only 32.3 percent of its field goal attempts in the first half.
UConn shot 48.4 percent from the field in the second half to stay ahead.
The Huskies held a 44-30 advantage in the rebounding battle and forced Penn State into 15 turnovers.
UConn will face Kentucky in the Elite 8.
- Big first half carries No. 4 Irish past Penn State Wed
- No. 1 UConn dominates second half in win over Maryland Nov 15
- UConn star Mosqueda-Lewis injures elbow Nov 11
- Hartley, top-ranked Huskies brush off No. 3 Stanford Nov 11
- Connecticut wins 8th title in rout of Louisville Apr 10
- Cardinals, Huskies battle for NCAA title Apr 9
- Fourth Time's The Charm: UConn downs Notre Dame to reach title game Apr 8
- UConn cruises to sixth straight Final Four Apr 1
- Stewart shines as UConn coasts past Maryland Mar 30
- Auriemma inks five-year extension with UConn Mar 27
- Webb leads LSU in upset over Penn State Mar 27
- UConn cruises against Commodores in Storrs Mar 25