Kentucky's hot shooting ends Gonzaga's run in the Sweet 16Mar 26, 2012 - 1:50 AM Kingston, RI (Sports Network) - Samarie Walker recorded a double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds to push the second-seeded Kentucky Wildcats as they topped the 11th-seeded Gonzaga Bulldogs, 79-62, in the Sweet 16 of the 2012 NCAA Women's Tournament at the Thomas F. Ryan Center.
Keyla Snowden hit five three-pointers to score a team-high 17 points to help Kentucky (28-6), as it reached the regional final round for the second time in three years. A'dia Mathies scored 15 points and dished out seven assists and Bria Goss netted 10 points to help the Wildcats advance to the Elite 8, where they will square off with Connecticut.
Kayla Standish led Gonzaga (28-6) with 25 points as it reached the Sweet 16 for the third straight year. Kelly Bowen scored 11 points and grabbed nine rebounds and Katelan Redmon added 10 points and seven boards for the Bulldogs in the losing effort.
The Wildcats took a 43-28 lead into the intermission after they shot 42.4 percent from the floor and knocked down 7-of-11 from beyond the arc in the opening period.
The Bulldogs tried to rally after the break, but Kentucky stayed in front by connecting on 5-of-10 from three-point range in the second half. Gonzaga shot 45.2 percent from the field in the final 20 minutes.
Kentucky held a 44-34 advantage in the rebounding battle and finished 12-of-21 from beyond the arc.
- GONZAGA: 62
Mar 25 9:05 PM
- GONZAGA: 28
Mar 25 7:52 PM
- GONZAGA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 25 7:06 PM
- Kentucky's Stallworth sidelined after knee surgery Wed
- 4-OT record-breaker: Kentucky women beat Baylor Dec 7
- UConn cruises to sixth straight Final Four Apr 1
- Kentucky holds off the Delle Donne led Blue Hens Mar 30
- Mathies bounces back as Kentucky thumps Dayton Mar 26
- Kentucky rallies past Navy in second half Mar 24
- Cyclones blow by Gonzaga in first round Mar 23
- Texas A&M edges Kentucky for first SEC title Mar 10
- Kentucky cruises past Georgia in SEC semifinals Mar 9
- No. 7 Kentucky downs Vanderbilt in SEC quarters Mar 8
- Mathies and O'Neill help Kentucky edge Tennessee Mar 3
- Mitchell ties school record as No. 10 Kentucky stomps Ole Miss Mar 1