No. 6 Rutgers holds off Saint Joseph'sNov 29, 2007 - 3:53 AM PHILADELPHIA (Ticker) -- Kia Vaughn had 12 points and 11 rebounds as No. 6 Rutgers survived a battle with Saint Joseph's to hold on for a 56-50 victory on Wednesday.
Epiphanny Prince scored 12 points and Matee Ajavon 11 for the Scarlet Knights (4-1).
The Hawks (3-2) rallied from a 12-point deficit in the first half and took a 49-46 lead. Rutgers regained the lead, 50-49, when Vaughn made a layup with 1:52 remaining and held on for the victory.
Timisha Gomez scored 14 points and Sarah Acker had 10 for Saint Joseph's. The Scarlet Knights, who led, 10-0, missed 16 of their first 20 shots in the second half.
Rutgers took a 35-28 advantage into halftime over the Hawks, who had more turnovers (12) than baskets (11) in the first half.
- Clarke leads Vanderbilt over St. Joseph's Mar 23
- Stringer picks up 900th career win as Rutgers downs USF Feb 27
- No. 3 UConn downs Rutgers; Stringer stuck on 899 Feb 16
- Diggins helps Notre Dame drop Rutgers Jan 13
- Gonzaga upsets sixth-seeded Rutgers Mar 17
- No. 4 Connecticut advances past No. 23 Rutgers at Big East tourney Mar 4
- Dolson helps UConn dominate Rutgers Feb 4
- Notre Dame routs Rutgers Jan 31
- No. 7 Rutgers downs South Florida Jan 21
- St. John's takes down No. 7 Rutgers Jan 17
- Wheeler, Rutgers down Louisville in OT Jan 14
- Rutgers routs Pittsburgh Jan 10