UTEP cruises into second round with easy victoryMar 23, 2008 - 5:55 AM PALO ALTO, California (Ticker) -- Natasha Lacy scored 19 points and grabbed five rebounds to lead seventh-seeded Texas-El Paso to a 92-60 drubbing of 10th-seeded Western Kentucky in a first-round NCAA Tournament matchup in the Spokane Region on Saturday.
Jareica Hughes contributed 17 points while Kasia Krezel added 15 for the Miners (28-3), who will next face No. 2 seed Stanford in the second round.
UTEP put together a 14-0 run midway through the second half to seal the victory. The Miners shot 53 percent (19-0f-36) from the field in the second half, including 7-of-11 from beyond the 3-point arc.
Dominique Duck had 18 points and seven rebounds and Crystal Kelly added 17 and seven for Western Kentucky (26-8), which surrendered 30 points off 22 turnovers.
- WKU: 60
TEXAS-EL PASO: 92
Mar 23 12:38 AM
- WKU: 31
TEXAS-EL PASO: 38
Mar 23 12:21 AM
- Penn State tops UTEP to advance Mar 18
- Sims helps No. 20 Pitt beat Western Kentucky Dec 22
- Rhoads, Marsh lead No. 16 Vanderbilt Dec 6
- W. Kentucky 47, Duke 70 Nov 26
- Thomas scores 20 as No. 10 Duke routs W. Kentucky Nov 26
- Dazzling effort by Wiggins powers Stanford Mar 25
- SMU upsets No. 24 UTEP in Conference USA final Mar 9
- Lacy, Hughes lead UTEP past Southern Miss Mar 9
- Hughes leads UTEP to 22nd straight win Mar 8
- Krezel, UTEP extend winning streak to 21 games Mar 1
- UTEP downs SMU, remains perfect in Conference USA Feb 29