Gould's field goal lifts Bears over RedskinsAug 19, 2012 - 4:06 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Robbie Gould kicked the game-winning field goal from 57 yards out with 36 seconds left as the Chicago Bears edged the Washington Redskins, 33-31, in preseason action at Solider Field.
Jay Cutler threw for 122 yards on 7-of-13 passing and backup signal-caller Jason Campbell tallied 141 yards on 9-of-15 passing, while Matt Forte picked up 16 yards on the ground on four carries and Michael Bush ran for 21 yards and two touchdowns on five carries.
Brandon Marshall hauled in two passes for 61 yards and Devin Hester snagged two balls for 22 yards. Rookie receiver Alshon Jeffery caught three passes for 62 yards in the victory.
Rookie Kirk Cousins threw for 264 yards and three touchdown passes on 18-of-23 passing, while Robert Griffin III played the entire first half and tallied 49 yards through the air on 5-of-8 passing to go with 17 rushing yards.
A pair of star defensive players left with injuries for the Redskins, as linebacker Brian Orakpo exited in the first quarter with a shoulder injury and safety Brandon Meriweather came out with an injury to his left knee just moments later.
On the first play from scrimmage for the Bears offense, Cutler found Marshall wide open down the middle of the field for 41 yards. Bush then capped the efficient six-play, 82-yard march with a one-yard touchdown push to give Chicago the lead.
Late in the first quarter, the Bears defense brought down Griffin for a sack- fumble and got the ball back on the Washington eight-yard line before Bush ran behind his right guard for an eight-yard touchdown sprint.
Chicago extended its lead to 17-0 on a 45-yard field goal by Gould early in the second quarter.
Neil Rackers connected on a 28-yard field goal on the Redskins ensuing possession, capping a nine-play, 70-yard drive to make it 17-3.
The Redskins picked up their first touchdown of the game late in the second quarter as Brandon Banks took a punt 91 yards for the score to cut the deficit to 17-10, but Gould answered with a 28-yard field goal just before halftime to extend the Bears lead to 20-10.
Lorenzo Booker opened the second half with a big play for the Bears as he took the opening kickoff 105 yards for the touchdown and a 27-10 Bears advantage.
The Bears marched 55 yards in 10 plays on their next possession before Gould was good from 19 yards out to widen the lead to 30-10.
Washington answered with a 15-play, 68-yard drive that culminated in a five- yard touchdown strike from Cousins to Niles Paul, and the 'Skins quickly made it a one-score game on their next touch as Cousins connected with Aldrick Robinson on a 49-yard touchdown pass.
The Redskins completed the comeback late in the fourth quarter when Cousins capped a seven-play, 85-yard drive with a 20-yard touchdown completion to Donnie Briscose, giving the Redskins a 31-30 lead with 2:09 left.
The Bears then went 41 yards in 10 plays before Gould won the game with his booming field goal.
- WASHINGTON: 31
Aug 18 11:37 PM
- == Preseason == Chicago Field Goal - 57-yarder by Robbie Gould.
Redskins 31, Bears 33 4th - 0:38Aug 18 11:36 PM
- == Preseason == Washington Touchdown - 20-yard pass from Kirk Cousins to Dezmon Briscoe. (Ne
Redskins 31, Bears 30 4th - 2:04Aug 18 11:00 PM
- == Preseason == Washington Touchdown - 49-yard pass from Kirk Cousins to Aldrick Robinson. (
Redskins 24, Bears 30 4th - 9:53Aug 18 11:02 PM
- == Preseason == Washington Touchdown - 5-yard pass from Kirk Cousins to Niles Paul. (Graham
Redskins 17, Bears 30 4th - 13:11Aug 18 10:53 PM
- WASHINGTON: 10
End of 3rd
Aug 18 10:43 PM
- == Preseason == Chicago Field Goal - 19-yarder by Robbie Gould.
Redskins 10, Bears 30 3rd - 6:07Aug 18 10:31 PM
- == Preseason == Chicago Touchdown - 105-yard kickoff return by Lorenzo Booker. (Robbie Gould
Redskins 10, Bears 27 3rd - 14:45Aug 18 10:14 PM
- WASHINGTON: 10
Aug 18 9:47 PM
- == Preseason == Chicago Field Goal - 28-yarder by Robbie Gould.
Redskins 10, Bears 20 2nd - 0:03Aug 18 9:46 PM
- == Preseason == Washington Touchdown - 91-yard punt return by Brandon Banks. (Graham Gano ki
Redskins 10, Bears 17 2nd - 1:29Aug 21 12:00 PM
- == Preseason == Washington Field Goal - 28-yarder by Neil Rackers.
Redskins 3, Bears 17 2nd - 6:36Aug 18 9:17 PM
- == Preseason == Chicago Field Goal - 45-yarder by Robbie Gould.
Redskins 0, Bears 17 2nd - 11:06Aug 18 9:09 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
End of 1st
Aug 18 8:50 PM
- == Preseason == Chicago Touchdown - 8-yard run by Michael Bush. (Robbie Gould kick).
Redskins 0, Bears 14 1st - 0:45Aug 18 8:47 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
1st Quarter - 8:37
Redskins 0, Bears 7 1st - 8:37Aug 18 8:24 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 18 8:08 PM
- Bears choose Cutler to start vs. Browns 9:19a
- Cousins takes over 'Skins in Atlanta 9:16a
- Trestman names Cutler starter against Browns 2:41p
- Griffin benched, Cousins to start for Redskins Wed
- Trestman 'optimistic' Cutler will start against Browns Wed
- McCown headlines NFC's best for Week 14 Wed
- QB change brewing in Washington Wed
- Bears-Eagles flexed to Sunday night for Week 16 Tue
- McCown, Bears crush Cowboys Tue
- Chiefs throttle reeling Redskins to halt skid Sun
- Redskins RB Royster leaves game Sun
- Cowboys hope to cure December doldrums against Bears Dec 6