Cardinals top RaidersAug 18, 2012 - 5:50 AM Glendale, AZ (Sports Network) - John Skelton went 3-for-3 for 23 yards and threw for a touchdown in limited action as the Arizona Cardinals beat the Oakland Raiders, 31-27, at University of Phoenix Stadium.
Skelton hooked up with Anthony Sherman for a three-yard touchdown pass in the second quarter. Kevin Kolb, who started under center for the Cardinals, was 3- for-6 for 22 yards, but was sacked in the end zone for a safety.
William Powell rushed for 37 yards and a touchdown on seven carries and Ryan Williams carried the ball five times for 25 yards and a score.
Carson Palmer completed 13 of 24 passes for 107 yards and threw an interception for the Raiders. Matt Leinart was 5-for-8 passing for 66 yards before injuring a finger on his non-throwing hand.
Loyane Miller rushed for 54 yards and a touchdown on 15 carries. Darren McFadden had nine carries for 34 yards in limited action.
Arizona took a 7-0 lead on its first drive when Williams punched it in from three yards out. Kevin Kolb found Early Doucet for 13 yard and Sherman for 12 before Williams broke a 15-yard run to put the Cardinals on the five. Williams found the end zone two plays later, capping a seven-play 41-yard drive.
Oakland answered back with a field goal to make it 7-3. A roughing the passer penalty on Darnell Dockett gave the Raiders the ball on the Arizona 39 before McFadden broke a 22-yard rush. Palmer then found Rod Streater for a 13-yard score, but the play was overturned after a review ruled Streater dropped the ball. Sebastian Janikowski kicked one through the uprights from 18-yards out to put Oakland on the board.
A holding penalty on the ensuing kickoff pinned the Cardinals on their own 5- yard line. Williams got Arizona some breathing room with a six-yard run but an intentional grounding penalty on Kolb put the Cardinals on their own one. Kolb was then sacked in the end zone by Tommy Kelly for a safety.
Janikowski would cap an eight-play, 38-yard drive with a 40-yard field goal with 40 seconds remaining in the first quarter to make it 8-7.
Kerry Rhodes picked off Palmer and returned it to the Oakland five, but the Cardinals couldn't find the end zone and were forced to settle for a 32-yard field goal from Feely.
After Washington fumbled Skelton and the Cardinals took over on the Oakland 23. Three plays later Skelton connected with Sherman for a three-yard touchdown to put the Cardinals up 17-8.
Arizona made it 24-8 when Justin Bethel blocked Marquette King's punt and returned it for a 19-yard touchdown.
A 21-yard Janikowski field goal capped a 14-play, 59-yard drive to make it 24-11.
Oakland pulled within a touchdown after Miller punched it in from one yard out. A 12-men on the field extended the drive and Leinart connected with Juron Criner down the sideline for 26 yards. Miller found the end zone three plays later.
Carl Ichenacho forced Ryan Lindley to fumble on a sack and Hall Davis returned it seven yards to knot it up at 24-24.
Powell's ran for a nine-yard touchdown to put the Cardinals ahead 31-24. Lindley found Sampson for 30 yards before Powell scampered in for the score.
Eddy Carmona nailed a 53-yard field goal with 7:53 to play to make it 31-27.
- OAKLAND: 27
Aug 18 1:24 AM
- OAKLAND: 27
End of Regulation
Aug 18 1:24 AM
- == Preseason == Oakland Field Goal - 53-yarder by Eddy Carmona.
Raiders 27, Cardinals 31 4th - 5:45Aug 18 1:11 AM
- == Preseason == Arizona Touchdown - 9-yard run by William Powell (Jay Feely kick).
Raiders 24, Cardinals 31 4th - 11:33Aug 18 12:58 AM
- OAKLAND: 24
End of 3rd
Aug 18 12:47 AM
- == Preseason == Oakland Touchdown - 7-yard fumble recovery return by Hall Davis (Marquette K
Raiders 24, Cardinals 24 3rd - 0:39Aug 18 12:47 AM
- == Preseason == Oakland Touchdown - 1-yard run by Lonyae Miller. (kick failed).
Raiders 17, Cardinals 24 3rd - 10:22Aug 18 12:19 AM
- OAKLAND: 11
Aug 17 11:51 PM
- == Preseason == Oakland Field Goal - 21-yarder y Sebastian Janikowski.
Raiders 11, Cardinals 24 2nd - 0:12Aug 17 11:51 PM
- == Preseason == Arizona Touchdown - 19-yard blocked punt return by Justin Bethel (Jay Feely
Raiders 8, Cardinals 24 2nd - 8:31Aug 17 11:21 PM
- == Preseason == Arizona Touchdown - 3-yard pass from John Skelton to Anthony Sherman (Jay Fe
Raiders 8, Cardinals 17 2nd - 10:00Aug 17 11:16 PM
- == Preseason == Arizona Field Goal - 32-yarder by Jay Feely.
Raiders 8, Cardinals 10 2nd - 12:44Aug 17 11:08 PM
- OAKLAND: 8
End of 1st
Aug 17 10:53 PM
- == Preseason == Oakland Field Goal - 40-yarder by Sebastian Janikowski.
Raiders 8, Cardinals 7 1st - 0:40Aug 17 10:52 PM
- == Preseason == Oakland Safety - Kevin Kolb sacked by Tommy Kelly in the end zone.
Raiders 5, Cardinals 7 1st - 4:36Aug 17 10:43 PM
- == Preseason == Oakland Field Goal - 18-yarder by Sebastian Janikowski.
Raiders 3, Cardinals 7 1st - 5:39Aug 17 10:36 PM
- == Preseason == Arizona Touchdown - 3-yard run by Ryan Williams (Jay Feely kick).
Raiders 0, Cardinals 7 1st - 11:02Aug 17 10:21 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 17 10:09 PM
- Extra Points: Arians can't solve 'college' offense Mon
- Foles throws 3 TDs in Eagles' win over Cardinals Sun
- Cardinals RB Ellington inactive Sun
- Cardinals RB Ellington questionable for Sunday Nov 29
- Streaking Cardinals hope to slow down Foles, Eagles Nov 29
- Murray stars as Cowboys hold off Raiders Nov 28
- McFadden active for Thanksgiving tilt Nov 28
- Raiders take Veldheer off short-term IR Nov 27
- Raiders RB McFadden listed as questionable Nov 27
- Cowboys celebrate Thanksgiving by hosting Raiders Nov 27
- Titans beat Raiders with late TD strike Nov 24
- Fitzgerald, Palmer push Cardinals past Colts Nov 24