Avs get crucial road win over RangersMar 18, 2012 - 5:10 AM
Coming into Saturday's action, the Avs were clinging to a one-point lead over three other teams for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. Now, they sit in the seventh spot with a one-point lead over Los Angeles and San Jose, both of which won on Saturday.
Gabriel Landeskog scored the winner in the second period and Matt Hunwick lit the lamp in the first period for the Avalanche, who have won four of their past five games.
"We have no control over what the teams behind us do," said Hunwick. "We just have to take care of our business and getting five out of six points on this trip is huge."
The Rangers have seen their once comfortable lead for the top spot in the Eastern Conference and the Atlantic Division fall to just two points as the resurgent Penguins have won 11 straight games while the Rangers are just 5-5-1 during the same stretch. The Penguins also have a game in hand on New York.
Mats Zuccarello had the lone goal of the game for the Rangers, who got 17 stops from Henrik Lundqvist in the loss.
"Their goalie saved the day for them," said Lundqvist. "He played really well, they played really well as a team. We did too, but we just came up a little short."
With the game tied in the second, Landeskog gave his team the lead halfway through when Ryan Wilson blasted a shot on net from the outside of the left circle that Landeskog tipped between the legs of Lundqvist.
Varlamov made the lead stand up with a flurry of saves over the final 30 minutes, as he stopped 10 in the second and 16 in the third, helping the Avs kill off a pair of Rangers power plays in the third period.
Ryan McDonagh took a tripping call with 1:08 to play to put the Rangers a man down and Paul Stastny sealed the win with the empty-netter with 14 seconds left.
The Rangers took a 1-0 lead 10:43 into the game as a pass from the mid-right boards by Dan Girardi was tipped in by Zuccarello in front of the net.
The Avalanche, though, tied the game just over four minutes later when Hunwick got the puck in the Rangers zone and went up the middle, going outside-inside on a defender and tipping the puck past Lundqvist while off-balance for just his third goal of the year.
Colorado has won three straight against the Rangers...The Rangers host the Devils on Monday...Colorado returns home to face Calgary on Tuesday...The Avs went 1-for-2 on the power play while New York, which is 29th in the league on the man advantage, was 0-for-5.
- COLORADO: 3
NEW YORK: 1
Mar 17 9:37 PM
- Colorado Power-Play Empty Net Goal - Paul Stastny (18), at 19:46.
Avalanche 3, Rangers 1 3rd - 0:14Mar 17 9:35 PM
- COLORADO: 2
NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 17 8:42 PM
- Colorado Goal - Gabriel Landeskog, at 9:51.
Avalanche 2, Rangers 1 2nd - 10:09Mar 17 8:21 PM
- COLORADO: 1
NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Mar 17 7:47 PM
- Colorado Goal - Matt Hunwick, at 15:01.
Avalanche 1, Rangers 1 1st - 4:59Mar 17 7:36 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Dan Girardi (5), at 10:43.
Avalanche 0, Rangers 1 1st - 9:17Mar 17 7:26 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 17 7:08 PM
- Rangers thump Lightning to force Game 7 Wed
- Bolts try to finish off Rangers in Game 6 Tue
- Bishop, Lightning shut out Rangers for 3-2 lead Sun
- Bolts, Rangers battle for series edge Sun
- Nash, Lundqvist help Rangers even series May 23
- Rangers try to slow down Bolts in Game 4 May 22
- Bolts strike in OT to beat Rangers, take 2-1 series lead May 21
- Bolts, Rangers fight for lead in Game 3 of East finals May 20
- Johnson's hat trick helps Lightning even series May 19
- Rangers shoot for 2-0 lead against Lightning May 18
- Rangers take Game 1 on Moore's late goal May 16
- Rangers host Bolts in Game 1 of East finals May 16