Luongo stones Flames as Canucks keep rollingJan 6, 2011 - 8:45 AM
Kevin Bieksa had a goal and an assist while Ryan Kesler and Daniel Sedin each lit the lamp for the Canucks, who won their season-best seventh straight game and are 12-0-2 in their last 14.
Since Vancouver's last regulation loss on December 5 against St. Louis, the remarkable run has propelled Vancouver into the top spot overall in the NHL with 57 points, two ahead of Pittsburgh and Detroit.
Calgary, meanwhile, dropped its second straight game on the heels of a four- game winning streak and sits second to last in the Western Conference with 39 points, but the team is just six points back of the final playoff spot in the conference.
Miikka Kiprusoff stopped 18 shots while Tim Jackman's goal with 11 seconds left spoiled Luongo's shutout bid.
"It's tough to let one in the last few seconds, but we got the two points so I'm just going to move on," Luongo said. "Obviously I want to stop them all. So I'm disappointed I let one in at the end."
The Canucks took a 1-0 lead just 1:10 into the contest. Mason Raymond faked inside to get around the defender and threw the puck from the left circle to the front, where Kesler used his stick to guide it in.
Vancouver made it a 2-0 contest at the 16:12 mark of the opening frame as Bieksa sent a shot on net from the left circle that hit off a Calgary stick and went in.
Halfway through the second, Vancouver struck again for a 3-0 advantage. Bieksa held the puck in the high slot and flung it on net. Kiprusoff had his glove lined up to snag it, but Sedin made a nice deflection to get it into the net for his 22nd goal of the year.
Calgary hosts Detroit on Friday...Vancouver hosts Edmonton on Friday...The Canucks have taken both contests with the Flames this season and four straight...Calgary was 0-for-3 on the power play while Vancouver was 0-for2.
- CALGARY: 1
Jan 6 12:29 AM
- Calgary Goal - Tim Jackman (6), from Mikael Backlund at 19:49.
Flames 1, Canucks 3 3rd - 0:11Jan 6 12:28 AM
- CALGARY: 0
End of 2nd
Jan 5 11:37 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Daniel Sedin (22), from Alexandre Burrows at 9:27.
Flames 0, Canucks 3 2nd - 10:33Jan 5 11:20 PM
- CALGARY: 0
End of 1st
Jan 5 10:45 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Kevin Bieksa (5), at 16:12.
Flames 0, Canucks 2 1st - 3:48Jan 5 10:36 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Ryan Kesler, from Mason Raymond at 1:10.
Flames 0, Canucks 1 1st - 18:50Jan 5 10:10 PM
- CALGARY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 5 10:08 PM
- Canucks announce affiliation agreement with Utica Fri
- Canucks sign Tom Sestito May 29
- Canucks ax Vigneault, rest of coaching staff May 22
- Sharks sweep Canucks May 8
- Sharks shoot for sweep of Canucks May 7
- Sharks pound Canucks to take 3-0 series lead May 6
- Down 2-0, Canucks head to San Jose May 5
- Torres' OT goal gives Sharks 2-0 series lead May 4
- Luongo, Canucks hope to rebound against Sharks in Game 2 May 3
- Sharks take Game 1 in Vancouver May 2
- Luongo to start Canucks' playoff opener May 1
- Canucks host Sharks in Game 1 May 1