Panthers take down SenatorsMar 5, 2012 - 6:49 AM Sunrise, FL (Sports Network) - Jack Skille recorded a goal and an assist as the Florida Panthers took down the Ottawa Senators, 4-2, at BankAtlantic Center.
Marcel Goc, Krystofer Barch and Mikael Samuelsson also lit the lamp for the Panthers, who snapped an eight-game losing streak against the Senators. Florida had not beaten Ottawa since January 9, 2010.
Scott Clemmensen stopped 23-of-25 shots as the Panthers won for the fourth time in six games.
Jared Cowen and Chris Neil scored for Ottawa, which dropped its second straight game. Robin Lehner stopped 24 shots in defeat.
Ottawa struck first at the 13:23 mark of the first period when Kyle Turris fought the puck out of a scrum in the corner and fed a pass to the left point, where Cowen sent a wrister that went through a crowd and into the short side.
Then, with 1:28 remaining in the opening frame, Jim O'Brien sent a backhander from the right of the net that was blocked in front, but Neil was there to fire the loose puck into the twine to give the Senators a 2-0 lead.
The Panthers, though, used a three-goal second period to take control of the game.
Goc put the Panthers on the board just 33 seconds into the middle stanza when he got his stick on Mike Weaver's shot from the right point and deflected it over Lehner's right shoulder.
Barch knotted the game at two a little over two minutes later when he received a pass from Skille at the Senators blue line and raced in on a breakaway. He faked to right before deking left and beating Lehner to the stick side at the 2:54 mark.
Samuelsson put the Panthers on top for good with 8:57 remaining in the second while on the power play, snapping a quick shot from the slot into the top- right corner.
"When you get as thoroughly outplayed as we did in the first period, I feel like there has to be some kind of response," Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen said. "I thought the response was extremely strong."
After Turris' hard wrister from the right circle beat Clemmensen but hit the post during a late Ottawa power play, Skille sealed the win for the Panthers when he raced down the left side of the ice before sweeping into the slot and wristing a shot into the top-right corner with 1:26 on the clock.
"Our competition level after the first period stayed the same and theirs, obviously, elevated to a higher level and they took over the game," Senators head coach Paul MacLean said.
Ottawa took the season series, 3-1...Senators forward Jason Spezza had his 11-game points streak snapped. He had eight goals and 14 assists in the streak...Weaver had two assists in the game...Panthers forward Kris Versteeg, who is the team's leading scorer, missed his fourth straight game with a lower body injury.
- OTTAWA: 2
Mar 4 8:32 PM
- Florida Goal - Jack Skille (4), at 18:34.
Senators 2, Panthers 4 3rd - 1:26Mar 4 8:31 PM
- OTTAWA: 2
End of 2nd
Mar 4 8:20 PM
- Florida Goal - Mikael Samuelsson, at 11:03.
Senators 2, Panthers 3 2nd - 8:57Mar 4 8:14 PM
- Florida Goal - Krys Barch (2), at 2:53.
Senators 2, Panthers 2 2nd - 17:07Mar 4 7:05 PM
- Florida Goal - Marcel Goc (7), at :33.
Senators 2, Panthers 1 2nd - 19:27Mar 4 7:03 PM
- Marcel Goc tip-in shot on Robin Lehner.
Senators 2, Panthers 0 2nd - 19:27Mar 4 7:02 PM
- Florida Goal - Jerred Smithson, at :33.
Senators 2, Panthers 1 2nd - 19:27Mar 4 7:02 PM
- OTTAWA: 2
End of 1st
Mar 4 6:44 PM
- Keaton Ellerby wrist shot on Robin Lehner.
Senators 2, Panthers 0 1st - 1:13Mar 4 6:42 PM
- Ottawa Goal - Jared Cowen (5), at 13:23.
Senators 1, Panthers 0 1st - 6:37Mar 4 6:29 PM
- OTTAWA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 4 6:08 PM
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Tue
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Mon
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Mon
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Mon
- Panthers C Nick Bjugstad out for Game 5 against Islanders Sun
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Sun
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23
- Panthers-Islanders Preview Apr 23
- Quine wins it in 2nd OT, Islanders top Panthers 2-1 Apr 23
- Hats over rats: NHL commish on what fans can throw on ice Apr 22
- Bishop shines, Lightning eliminate Red Wings in 5 games Apr 22