Flames host Ducks in season finaleApr 7, 2012 - 2:25 PM
The Ducks opened their trip with a shootout loss in Vancouver on Tuesday, but snapped a three-game slide on Thursday night with a 3-2 overtime victory against Edmonton.
Ryan Getzlaf scored the winner 1:12 into the bonus frame as he chased down a missed Edmonton shot at the opposing blue line and raced in before slipping a backhander into the net.
Bobby Ryan and Andrew Cogliano both scored for the Ducks, while Jeff Deslauriers gave up two goals on 26 shots in the win against his former club.
"It was nice to get the win here because we want to finish this season strong and go into the summer with our heads held high," said Cogliano.
Anaheim won for only the second time in its past nine on the road.
The Ducks are 6-0-1 in their past seven versus the Flames and have won 13 of the past 17 encounters between the clubs. They have won consecutive meetings versus Calgary following a 1-0 road setback on Jan. 12 that opened the four- game season series.
Like the Ducks, the Flames conclude their regular season this afternoon that did not yield a trip to the postseason. Calgary is looking to finish on a winning streak after snapping a three-game slide with Thursday's 3-2 win over the visiting Canucks.
The Flames were held scoreless over the first two periods before Mike Cammalleri scored twice in the final frame sandwiched around a Curtis Glencross tally. Miikka Kiprusoff made 32 saves as Calgary won for only the second time in its past 10 games. Both of those victories came at home.
"In the first period, [Kiprusoff] made some big saves for us to keep us in it," Flames head coach Brent Sutter said. "Our emotion level wasn't where it needed to be."
Flames forward Akim Aliu recorded his first career point with an assist on Cammalleri's first goal.
- ANAHEIM: 2
Apr 7 6:29 PM
- Anaheim Goal - Bobby Ryan (31), at 19:33.
Ducks 2, Flames 5 3rd - 0:27Apr 7 6:27 PM
- Calgary Goal - Lee Stempniak (14), at 17:18.
Ducks 1, Flames 5 3rd - 2:42Apr 7 6:25 PM
- Calgary Goal - Akim Aliu, from Jay Bouwmeester at 7:24.
Ducks 1, Flames 4 3rd - 12:36Apr 7 6:06 PM
- ANAHEIM: 1
End of 2nd
Apr 7 5:37 PM
- Calgary Goal - Anton Babchuk (2), from Jarome Iginla at 19:42.
Ducks 1, Flames 3 2nd - 0:18Apr 7 5:36 PM
- Calgary Goal - Jay Bouwmeester (5), at 19:17.
Ducks 1, Flames 2 2nd - 0:43Apr 7 5:36 PM
- Anaheim Power-Play Goal - Bobby Ryan (30), at 13:33.
Ducks 1, Flames 1 2nd - 6:27Apr 7 5:26 PM
- ANAHEIM: 0
End of 1st
Apr 7 4:42 PM
- Calgary Goal - Akim Aliu, at 4:00.
Ducks 0, Flames 1 1st - 16:00Apr 7 4:14 PM
- ANAHEIM: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 7 4:08 PM
- Boudreau, MacLean, Quenneville named finalists for Adams Award Fri
- Anaheim D Beauchemin headed for knee surgery Tue
- Bergevin, Murray, Shero named GM award finalists May 13
- Red Wings down Ducks in Game 7 May 13
- Ducks, Red Wings clash in Game 7 May 12
- Ducks try to finish off Red Wings in Detroit May 12
- Wings down Ducks in OT; Game 7 on Sunday May 11
- Ducks try to finish off Red Wings in Detroit May 10
- Ducks grab series lead with OT win May 9
- Ducks host Red Wings in key Game 5 battle May 8
- Red Wings even series with Ducks on Brunner's OT winner May 7
- Kings, Ducks set to play at Dodger Stadium in 2014 May 6