Atkinson, Blue Jackets rout Islanders in season finaleApr 8, 2012 - 6:12 AM
James Wisniewski and Vinny Prospal added and goal and two assists apiece for Columbus (29-46-7), which closed the year with wins in five of its last six contests.
"The goal that the players set in the last 19 (games) was to go 11-8," said Blue Jackets interim coach Todd Richards. "We were 10-8 coming into this one."
Rick Nash, Jack Johnson, and R.J. Umberger also lit the lamp for the Blue Jackets, who got 35 saves from Steve Mason.
Michael Grabner, Kyle Okposo and Milan Jurcina scored for New York (34-37-11), which lost four of its last five games.
Al Montoya allowed seven goals on 37 shots in defeat, but Isles defenseman Travis Hamonic said the loss wasn't his fault.
"We've got to clear the puck and we have to stop turning the puck over," said Hamonic. "We left him out to dry."
Already ahead 1-0 on Nash's backhanded goal late in the first, the Blue Jackets seized control of the contest in the middle stanza.
After Atkinson and Jurcina exchanged tallies within a three-plus minute span early in the period, Umberger's backhander gave Columbus a 3-1 lead a little past the halfway point of the frame.
Okposo snapped one home to pull New York within a goal, but Wisniewski and Atkinson recorded power-play goals in a 43-second span to close the period as Columbus took a 5-2 advantage into the final period.
Johnson and Prospal lit the lamp in the third before Grabner concluded the scoring with a slap shot with 3:33 remaining.
Columbus improved to 9-4-1 in 14 all-time meetings with New York...The Islanders finished 17-19-5 on the road, their best record since going 18-17-6 in 2006-07...Columbus was 2-for-3 on the power play, while the Islanders were 0-for-2.
- NEW YORK: 3
Apr 7 9:33 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Michael Grabner (20), at 16:27.
Islanders 3, Blue Jackets 7 3rd - 3:33Apr 7 9:22 PM
- Columbus Goal - Vinny Prospal (16), at 11:02.
Islanders 2, Blue Jackets 7 3rd - 8:58Apr 7 9:12 PM
- Columbus Goal - Jack Johnson (12), at 4:41.
Islanders 2, Blue Jackets 6 3rd - 15:19Apr 7 9:01 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Apr 7 8:37 PM
- James Wisniewski slap shot on Al Montoya.
Islanders 2, Blue Jackets 5 2nd - 0:32Apr 7 8:36 PM
- Columbus Power-Play Goal - James Wisniewski (6), at 18:48.
Islanders 2, Blue Jackets 4 2nd - 1:12Apr 7 8:35 PM
- John Tavares wrist shot on Steve Mason.
Islanders 2, Blue Jackets 3 2nd - 6:12Apr 7 8:24 PM
- Cam Atkinson wrist shot is over the net.
Islanders 1, Blue Jackets 3 2nd - 6:58Apr 7 8:23 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Kyle Okposo (24), at 13:11.
Islanders 2, Blue Jackets 3 2nd - 6:49Apr 7 8:23 PM
- Columbus Goal - R.J. Umberger (20), at 11:11.
Islanders 1, Blue Jackets 3 2nd - 8:49Apr 7 8:19 PM
- NY Islanders Goal at 7:32.
Islanders 1, Blue Jackets 2 2nd - 12:28Apr 7 8:11 PM
- Columbus Goal - Cam Atkinson (6), at 4:15.
Islanders 0, Blue Jackets 2 2nd - 15:45Apr 7 8:04 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Apr 7 7:42 PM
- Columbus Goal - Rick Nash, from Mark Letestu and Vinny Prospal at 19:24.
Islanders 0, Blue Jackets 1 1st - 0:36Apr 7 7:40 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 7 7:09 PM
- Islanders bring back Boulton Fri
- Marching on: Penguins beat Isles in OT, advance to second round May 12
- Pens aim to eliminate Isles in Game 6 May 11
- Top Shelf: Vokoun comes through in a pinch May 10
- Crosby, Ovechkin and Tavares named Hart Trophy finalists May 10
- Vokoun, Penguins shut out Isles for 3-2 series lead May 9
- Isles aim for series lead in pivotal Game 5 at Pittsburgh May 9
- Bobrovsky, Lundqvist, Niemi named Vezina finalists May 8
- Worth the Wait: Isles best Penguins to even series May 7
- Pens aim to extend lead over Isles in Game 4 May 7
- Pens top Isles in OT, take 2-1 lead in series May 5
- Top-seeded Pens aim to rebound against Isles in Game 3 May 5