Preds try to bounce back against Coyotes in Game 2Apr 29, 2012 - 2:59 PM
The Coyotes opened this series with a thrilling overtime victory in Game 1. Ray Whitney scored the winner at the 14:04 mark of the extra session to lift the Pacific Division champions to a 4-3 victory.
A right-circle faceoff saw Martin Hanzal win the draw and push it forward. He then swiped the puck over to the front where Whitney kicked it to his stick and poked it past Vezina Trophy finalist Pekka Rinne.
"I held for a moment and then thought I'd just go to the net," said Whitney about the goal. "Then Marty (Hanzal) got it over and I just stabbed it at the net. It wasn't a thing of beauty, but it worked."
Rostislav Klesla had a goal and an assist while Radim Vrbata and Mikkel Boedker each had a goal for the Coyotes, who defeated Chicago in six games in the opening round to win a playoff series for the first time since moving to Phoenix prior to the start of the 1996-97 season.
Mike Smith made 39 saves in the win for Phoenix, which is looking to advance to the conference finals for the first time in club history.
The fourth-seeded Predators are in the second round for the second time in their history and are also aiming for the franchise's first-ever trip to the conference finals.
Martin Erat, Brandon Yip and Andrei Kostitsyn all had goals for the Predators, who took down the Detroit Red Wings in five games in the first round. Rinne gave up the four goals on 24 shots.
"We know we're going to get better as this series goes on," said Nashville head coach Barry Trotz. "We have another level in our game. I thought the first half of this game we weren't as good as we could be and the second half I thought we played a lot better."
Nashville trailed Friday's game by a 3-2 score heading into the third period and tied the contest on Erat's power-play goal with 4:42 left in regulation.
"Skill and compete are imperative in this game, especially in the playoffs, and our skill and compete in the third period was non-existent," said Phoenix head coach Dave Tippett. "That is unacceptable and we're lucky to have won it in overtime."
Phoenix has yielded game-tying goals in the final five minutes of the third period in four games this postseason. The Coyotes have won three of those tests in overtime with the lone setback coming in Game 2 of the first-round series against Chicago.
The Predators were 22-16-3 as the guest in 2011-12 and was 2-0 at Detroit in the conference quarterfinals. Nashville would like to avoid being down 2-0 in the series when the matchup shifts to Music City for Games 3 and 4.
Nashville will host Game 3 of this series on Wednesday.
The Coyotes went 2-1-1 against Nashville during the season series and this is the first-ever postseason meeting between these clubs.
- KingHockeyMan I predicted a 7th game in this series. The Preds year after year fall behind 2 gms to none & have had a one huge battle to get even in a series over their playoff years. Looks like they are doing it again. Its a :MUST" win for them tomorrow for their 1st game in this series @-home.
Predators 3, Coyotes 5 FinalApr 30 10:17 PM
- NASHVILLE: 3
Apr 29 10:48 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Shane Doan (2), from Derek Morris and Antoine Vermette at 3:36.
Predators 3, Coyotes 5 3rd - 16:24Apr 29 10:15 PM
- Nashville Power-Play Goal - Ryan Suter, from Shea Weber and Martin Erat at :53.
Predators 3, Coyotes 4 3rd - 19:07Apr 29 10:08 PM
- NASHVILLE: 2
End of 1st
Apr 29 9:49 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Taylor Pyatt (3), from Shane Doan at 11:50.
Predators 2, Coyotes 4 2nd - 8:10Apr 29 9:29 PM
- Mike Fisher wrist shot on Mike Smith.
Predators 2, Coyotes 3 2nd - 8:55Apr 29 9:28 PM
- NASHVILLE: 1
2nd Period - 12:48
Predators 1, Coyotes 3 2nd - 12:48Apr 29 9:22 PM
- Keith Yandle wrist shot on Pekka Rinne.
Predators 1, Coyotes 2 2nd - 13:00Apr 29 9:21 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Radim Vrbata (2), at 7:05.
Predators 1, Coyotes 3 2nd - 12:55Apr 29 9:21 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Martin Hanzal (2), from Radim Vrbata and Ray Whitney at 3:47.
Predators 1, Coyotes 2 2nd - 16:13Apr 29 9:13 PM
- Nashville Goal - Andrei Kostitsyn, from Kevin Klein and Nick Spaling at 17:12.
Predators 1, Coyotes 1 1st - 2:48Apr 29 8:45 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Antoine Vermette (5), from Keith Yandle and Mikkel Boedker at 8:32.
Predators 0, Coyotes 1 1st - 11:28Apr 29 8:28 PM
- NASHVILLE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 29 8:10 PM
- Coyotes agree to long-term extension with GM Maloney 5:30p
- Predators' Rinne out 4 months after hip surgery May 9
- Predators give Hornqvist five-year deal Apr 30
- Vrbata's hat trick guides Coyotes over Ducks Apr 28
- Columbus finishes season strongly, tops Nashville Apr 27
- Pacific champion Ducks aim to end on a high note vs. Coyotes Apr 27
- Blue Jackets host Preds in big game at Nationwide Arena Apr 27
- Avs get past Coyotes in SO Apr 27
- Coyotes try to continue dominance of Avalanche Apr 26
- Red Wings pick up big win over Predators Apr 26
- Red Wings shoot for another big win against Preds Apr 25
- Coyotes nip Sharks Apr 25