L.A. ends winless run with defeat of PortlandJun 18, 2012 - 1:11 AM Carson, CA (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Galaxy ended their seven-game winless run with a 1-0 defeat of the Portland Timbers on Sunday, and the goal came from an unlikely source.
Los Angeles has received goals from 11 different players this term with only Robbie Keane scoring more than two. It was Todd Dunivant who chipped in on this occasion.
Dunivant provided the crucial breakthough at The Home Depot Center, scoring his first league goal since 2010 to lift Los Angeles (4-8-2) out of the Western Conference cellar with 14 points on the season.
Portland (3-6-4) loses a league match for the first time since April 28 when it fell to the Montreal Impact, 2-1, at the Olympic Stadium. The Timbers are tied with FC Dallas for last place in the West with 13 points apiece.
The best chance of the opening period fell to the Galaxy in the 15th minute. A cross from Bryan Jordan found Landon Donovan just outside the box and the American international rifled a shot off the post.
Los Angeles eventually claimed the win thanks to Dunivant's strike at the hour mark. David Beckham delivered a corner kick to the back post where the Galaxy defender was waiting to head his effort into the back of the net. Portland protested to referee Geoff Gamble that goalkeeper Troy Perkins had been impeded, but no foul was given and the goal stood.
It proved to be all the Galaxy would need as they held on for their fourth win of the campaign.
Los Angeles will play two matches before Portland takes the pitch again. The Galaxy return to action Wednesday with a trip to Rio Tinto Stadium to face Real Salt Lake and then return home to host Vancouver Whitecaps FC at The Home Depot Center. The Timbers will host Seattle Sounders FC in a Cascadia Cup encounter on June 24.
- PORTLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 1
Jun 17 9:03 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Dunivant 1 (Beckham), 61st minute
Timbers 0, Galaxy 1 2nd - 63'Jun 17 8:32 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 17 7:10 PM
- Portland brings unbeaten run to L.A. 6:33p
- Galaxy acquires Mastroeni from Rapids Mon
- Portland tops FCD to extend unbeaten run Sat
- Portland tests unbeaten run against FC Dallas Fri
- Garcia sparks RSL in win over Galaxy Jun 8
- Paladini helps Fire rally for draw with Timbers Jun 8
- RSL welcomes L.A. to Rio Tinto Jun 7
- Fire, Timbers square off at Toyota Park Jun 7
- Revs rout Galaxy for third straight win Jun 2
- Galaxy, Revs tangle at Gillette May 31
- Keane, Galaxy hammer Sounders as Rogers makes L.A. debut May 27
- Portland doubles up on D.C. United May 25