Pearce leaves it late for New YorkJun 21, 2012 - 5:14 AM Vancouver, BC (Sports Network) - Heath Pearce salvaged a 1-1 draw for Red Bull New York on Wednesday at BC Place when he headed home a cross from Joel Lindpere in the 86th minute to prevent a third straight win for Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
A slow first half gave way to more open second 45 minutes that saw each side tally a goal in the last quarter of the match.
Martin Bonjour's goal in the 75th had Vancouver on course for another three points. But after a five-game winning streak, New York was able to prevent a second successive loss with the late header from Pearce.
The lone chance of note in the first half was a badly scuffed shot from Vancouver's Camilo Sanvezzo, who missed the net from 10 yards after being played into the area.
Lindpere had a good look at goal early in the second half but shot straight at goalkeeper Joe Cannon, while substitute Eric Hassli narrowly missed the net at the near post for the home side.
The Whitecaps finally cracked the scoreboard with 15 minutes to play when Davide Chiumiento's low cross made its way through traffic and found the foot of Bonjour, who curled a well-placed shot inside the right post.
Lindpere nearly responded within two minutes, but he struck the post with a shot on the turn.
However, Lindpere had a hand in the goal when he played a short corner to Dane Richards and fired the return pass into the box, where Pearce got free to head home the equalizer.
- NEW YORK: 1
VANCOUVER FC: 1
Jun 21 1:02 AM
- New York Goal - Pearce 1 (Lindpere, Richards), 86th minute
Red Bulls 1, Vancouver FC 1 2nd - 86'Jun 21 12:58 AM
- Vancouver Goal - Bonjour 2 (Chiumiento), 75th minute
Red Bulls 0, Vancouver FC 1 2nd - 77'Jun 21 12:46 AM
- NEW YORK: 0
VANCOUVER FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 20 11:12 PM
- Cahill's late goal sees N.Y. down L.A. Sun
- Valencia helps 10-man Timbers earn draw with 'Caps Sat
- Red Bulls, Galaxy set for high-profile clash Fri
- Portland resumes Cascadia Cup play in Vancouver Fri
- Revs, Red Bulls settle for a point May 11
- Teibert's brace helps 'Caps snap winless streak May 11
- N.Y. out to end road drought vs. New England May 10
- 'Caps aiming to end winless run vs. Galaxy May 10
- Henry's double helps New York hold off Montreal May 8
- RBNY tests winning streak against Montreal May 7
- Strong second half pushes RSL past Vancouver May 4
- Cahill lifts New York past Columbus May 4