Colorado cruises to 3-0 win over PortlandJul 1, 2012 - 3:09 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - Conor Casey and Jamie Smith became the latest players to score for the Colorado Rapids on Saturday.
Jaime Castrillon and Casey scored 4 minutes apart in the first half and Smith scored in the 89th minute to give the Rapids 14 players with at least one goal this season as Colorado beat Portland, 3-0, at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
Castrillon notched his team-high fifth goal to start the scoring, Casey scored his first of the season and Smith added his first goal in just his first match this season.
Colorado (7-8-1) won for the fifth time in eight home matches, while Portland (4-7-4) remained winless in seven road games this season.
Castrillon scored the first goal in the 18th minute, as he latched onto a pass from Hunter Freeman and converted to the middle of the goal.
Casey, making his seventh appearance this season, followed in the 22nd after a cross from Brian Mullan, as he deposited a header into the lower-right corner.
Colorado remained in control into the closing minutes and Smith capped the win off a pass from Tony Cascio with a finish to the middle of the net from just a few yards out.
The Rapids, who ended a two-game losing streak, host Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Wednesday. Portland hosts the San Jose Earthquakes on Tuesday.
- PORTLAND: 0
Jun 30 10:57 PM
- Colorado Goal - Smith 1 (Cascio, Rivero), 89th minute
Timbers 0, Rapids 3 2nd - 89'Jun 30 10:56 PM
- Colorado Goal - Casey 1 (Mullan), 22nd minute
Timbers 0, Rapids 2 1st - 25'Jun 30 9:33 PM
- Colorado Goal - Castrillon 5 (Freeman), 18th minute
Timbers 0, Rapids 1 1st - 20'Jun 30 9:29 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
1st Half - 5'
Jun 30 9:13 PM
- Galaxy acquires Mastroeni from Rapids 12:36p
- Watson off to winning start as San Jose tops 10-man Rapids Sat
- Portland tops FCD to extend unbeaten run Sat
- San Jose meets Colorado with new man at the helm Fri
- Portland tests unbeaten run against FC Dallas Fri
- Paladini helps Fire rally for draw with Timbers Jun 8
- Fire, Timbers square off at Toyota Park Jun 7
- Dallas, Colorado share points in four-goal second half Jun 1
- Rapids put unbeaten streak on the line against FC Dallas May 31
- Rapids roll over Chivas May 25
- Portland doubles up on D.C. United May 25
- Rapids aim to continue dominance over Chivas May 24