Impact top Revs to climb Eastern Conference tableJul 19, 2012 - 2:13 AM Montreal, QC (Sports Network) - The Montreal Impact jumped ahead of the New England Revolution in the Eastern Conference table on Wednesday, picking up a 2-1 win at the Stade Saputo to improve to 24 points on the season.
Patrice Bernier scored from the penalty spot in the 28th minute before an own goal from Donovan Ricketts brought the Revs back into the game, but the Impact took the lead for good 23 minutes from time thanks to Sanna Nyassi.
The Impact (7-12-3) move two points ahead of the Revs (6-9-4) with the visitors dropping their second straight result.
Montreal was granted a penalty kick in the 26th minute when Nyassi was brought down in the box by New England's Chris Tierney.
Bernier's conversion from the spot was pulled back twice for encroachment by referee Fotis Bazakos before the Impact midfielder finally produced a legal goal. It was his sixth goal of the campaign.
The Impact looked to be heading into halftime with a one-goal lead, but the visiting Revs equalized just before the break thanks to a fortuitous bounce.
Lee Nguyen hammered a rocket from distance that rattled off the crossbar and back into play. The ball rebounded off the back of Ricketts and trickled into the back of the net to even the score.
The match remained deadlocked until the 67th minute when Justin Mapp's delivery to the back was met by Nyassi. The speedy Montreal midfielder connected to hit a powerful shot past Matt Reis to give the Impact their second win from their last three matches.
- NEW ENGLAND: 1
Jul 18 10:00 PM
- Montreal Goal - Nyassi 3 (Mapp, Iapichino), 67th minute
Revolution 1, Impact 2 2nd - 69'Jul 18 9:35 PM
- New England Goal - Ricketts (OG), 44th minute
Revolution 1, Impact 1 1st - 44'Jul 18 8:54 PM
- Montreal Goal - Bernier 6 (PK), 28th minute
Revolution 0, Impact 1 1st - 29'Jul 18 8:38 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 18 8:08 PM
- Dynamo's home woes continue with Revs defeat Sat
- Houston hoping to start new unbeaten run Fri
- New England waives Nyassi Thu
- Revs, Red Bulls settle for a point May 11
- Impact leave it late against RSL May 11
- N.Y. out to end road drought vs. New England May 10
- Montreal, RSL hope to inch closer to first place May 10
- Garcia lifts RSL over Revolution May 8
- Henry's double helps New York hold off Montreal May 8
- New England acquires Agudelo from Chivas May 7
- RSL attempts to build momentum against Revs May 7
- RBNY tests winning streak against Montreal May 7