Colorado's slide continues against RSLJul 22, 2012 - 4:14 AM Sandy, UT (Sports Network) - Things continue to get worse for the Colorado Rapids as the team lost its fifth straight match on Saturday, falling 2-0 to Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium.
The Rapids have been in a slide for the past few months, losing seven of their last eight games to continue falling further down the ladder in the Western Conference.
So it was even more disappointing for the team when Salt Lake's opening goal in the 32nd minute came directly from a defensive error.
Colorado's Marvell Wynne played a poor back pass that was cut out by RSL's Fabian Espindola, who slid the ball to an open Alvaro Saborio for a simple tap in from a few yards.
The mistake put the Rapids behind 1-0 at halftime, and the visitors were never really able to get going in the offensive third, continuing a run of futility in front of goal.
Rapids goalkeeper Matt Pickens produced a fine stop on Javier Morales to keep his side within goal.
But the best chance the visitors could muster was a first-time shot from Omar Cummings in the 76th minute that sailed over the crossbar.
Colorado failed to put a shot on target over the course of 90 minutes, and was punished just before the final whistle as Saborio set up the clinching goal for Will Johnson to give Salt Lake all three points and help the team retain the Rocky Mountain Cup.
- COLORADO: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 2
Jul 22 12:00 AM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Johnson 3 (Saborio), 90th minute
Rapids 0, Real Salt Lake 2 2nd - 89'Jul 22 12:00 AM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Saborio 11 (Espindola), 32nd minute
Rapids 0, Real Salt Lake 1 1st - 32'Jul 21 10:44 PM
- COLORADO: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 21 10:12 PM
- Grabavoy leads the way as RSL charges past Chivas Mon
- Chavez helps 'Quakes claim point against Colorado May 19
- RSL completes road trip against sputtering Goats May 17
- Rapids, 'Quakes meet at Buck Shaw May 17
- Rapids roll over Columbus May 11
- Impact leave it late against RSL May 11
- Crew hoping to start new unbeaten run vs. Rapids May 10
- Montreal, RSL hope to inch closer to first place May 10
- Garcia lifts RSL over Revolution May 8
- RSL attempts to build momentum against Revs May 7
- Colorado signs Mera on loan May 7
- Buddle opens Rapids account in TFC defeat May 4