Colorado's slide continues against RSLJul 22, 2012 - 4:14 AM Sandy, UT (Sports Network) - Things continue to get worse for the Colorado Rapids as the team lost its fifth straight match on Saturday, falling 2-0 to Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium.
The Rapids have been in a slide for the past few months, losing seven of their last eight games to continue falling further down the ladder in the Western Conference.
So it was even more disappointing for the team when Salt Lake's opening goal in the 32nd minute came directly from a defensive error.
Colorado's Marvell Wynne played a poor back pass that was cut out by RSL's Fabian Espindola, who slid the ball to an open Alvaro Saborio for a simple tap in from a few yards.
The mistake put the Rapids behind 1-0 at halftime, and the visitors were never really able to get going in the offensive third, continuing a run of futility in front of goal.
Rapids goalkeeper Matt Pickens produced a fine stop on Javier Morales to keep his side within goal.
But the best chance the visitors could muster was a first-time shot from Omar Cummings in the 76th minute that sailed over the crossbar.
Colorado failed to put a shot on target over the course of 90 minutes, and was punished just before the final whistle as Saborio set up the clinching goal for Will Johnson to give Salt Lake all three points and help the team retain the Rocky Mountain Cup.
- COLORADO: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 2
Jul 22 12:00 AM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Johnson 3 (Saborio), 90th minute
Rapids 0, Real Salt Lake 2 2nd - 89'Jul 22 12:00 AM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Saborio 11 (Espindola), 32nd minute
Rapids 0, Real Salt Lake 1 1st - 32'Jul 21 10:44 PM
- COLORADO: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 21 10:12 PM
- Saborio's PK sees RSL edge Houston Aug 10
- Rapids hope to keep rolling over Chivas Aug 9
- RSL returns to league play to tangle with Houston Aug 9
- Torres becomes Colorado's first DP Aug 9
- DCU to meet RSL in U.S. Open Cup final Aug 7
- Rapids claim Rocky Mountain Cup after draw with RSL Aug 3
- Rocky Mountain Cup on the line as RSL meets Colorado Aug 2
- MLS suspends RSL's Alvarez, two others Aug 2
- RSL's Saborio claims MLS Player of the Week honor Jul 29
- McCarty seals RBNY's thrilling win vs. RSL Jul 27
- Rapids roll past Galaxy Jul 27
- Mastroeni returns to Colorado with Galaxy Jul 26