Rapids edge Real to snap six-game losing streakAug 5, 2012 - 3:24 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - Joseph Nane scored his first career goal Saturday. It might be the most important goal of the season for the Colorado Rapids.
Nane scored late in the first half as Colorado snapped a six-match losing skid in MLS with a 1-0 win over Real Salt Lake at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
Making just his third start, and appearance this season, Nane settled the ball at the top of the area and drove a shot just under the crossbar. Nane, who has played 24 MLS matches, hit the bar earlier in the first half.
Colorado (8-14-1) won for the first time since late June, when it defeated the Portland Timbers, 3-0. The Rapids lost all six of their matches in July.
Rapids goalkeeper Matt Pickens made just one save for his sixth shutout of the season.
RSL (13-8-3) won its first two games against Colorado by identical 2-0 scores, but wasted a chance to sweep the season series and move into first in the West over the San Jose Earthquakes. Real remained two points back in second.
Colorado, which climbed within one point of Chivas USA for sixth in the West, visits FC Dallas on Aug. 11 in its next league game. Real will visit Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Aug. 11 for its next league match.
- REAL SALT LAKE: 0
Aug 4 10:59 PM
- Colorado Goal - Nane 1 (unassisted), 38th minute
Real Salt Lake 0, Rapids 1 1st - 41'Aug 4 9:48 PM
- REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 4 9:08 PM
- RSL completes road trip against sputtering Goats Fri
- Rapids, 'Quakes meet at Buck Shaw Fri
- Rapids roll over Columbus May 11
- Impact leave it late against RSL May 11
- Crew hoping to start new unbeaten run vs. Rapids May 10
- Montreal, RSL hope to inch closer to first place May 10
- Garcia lifts RSL over Revolution May 8
- RSL attempts to build momentum against Revs May 7
- Colorado signs Mera on loan May 7
- Buddle opens Rapids account in TFC defeat May 4
- Strong second half pushes RSL past Vancouver May 4
- TFC tries for turnaround in Colorado May 3