Rapids edge Real to snap six-game losing streakAug 5, 2012 - 3:24 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - Joseph Nane scored his first career goal Saturday. It might be the most important goal of the season for the Colorado Rapids.
Nane scored late in the first half as Colorado snapped a six-match losing skid in MLS with a 1-0 win over Real Salt Lake at Dick's Sporting Goods Park.
Making just his third start, and appearance this season, Nane settled the ball at the top of the area and drove a shot just under the crossbar. Nane, who has played 24 MLS matches, hit the bar earlier in the first half.
Colorado (8-14-1) won for the first time since late June, when it defeated the Portland Timbers, 3-0. The Rapids lost all six of their matches in July.
Rapids goalkeeper Matt Pickens made just one save for his sixth shutout of the season.
RSL (13-8-3) won its first two games against Colorado by identical 2-0 scores, but wasted a chance to sweep the season series and move into first in the West over the San Jose Earthquakes. Real remained two points back in second.
Colorado, which climbed within one point of Chivas USA for sixth in the West, visits FC Dallas on Aug. 11 in its next league game. Real will visit Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Aug. 11 for its next league match.
- REAL SALT LAKE: 0
Aug 4 10:59 PM
- Colorado Goal - Nane 1 (unassisted), 38th minute
Real Salt Lake 0, Rapids 1 1st - 41'Aug 4 9:48 PM
- REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 4 9:08 PM
- Saborio's PK sees RSL edge Houston Aug 10
- Rapids hope to keep rolling over Chivas Aug 9
- RSL returns to league play to tangle with Houston Aug 9
- Torres becomes Colorado's first DP Aug 9
- DCU to meet RSL in U.S. Open Cup final Aug 7
- Rapids claim Rocky Mountain Cup after draw with RSL Aug 3
- Rocky Mountain Cup on the line as RSL meets Colorado Aug 2
- MLS suspends RSL's Alvarez, two others Aug 2
- RSL's Saborio claims MLS Player of the Week honor Jul 29
- McCarty seals RBNY's thrilling win vs. RSL Jul 27
- Rapids roll past Galaxy Jul 27
- Mastroeni returns to Colorado with Galaxy Jul 26