Seattle smashes L.A. in front of 60,908Aug 6, 2012 - 3:02 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Seattle Sounders FC tuned up for the U.S. Open Cup final with an impressive win over the Los Angeles Galaxy on Sunday.
Eddie Johnson scored his 10th goal this season, Fredy Montero scored a magical half-volley, and Alex Caskey and Andy Rose added the first of their careers as Seattle crushed Los Angeles, 4-0, in front of 60,908 at CenturyLink Field.
Seattle, which is third in the Western Conference of MLS, climbed within seven points of the San Jose Earthquakes for first place in the standings.
The Sounders (10-5-7) will now shift focus to the Open Cup final on Wednesday. Seattle, the three-time defending champions, visits Sporting Kansas City for a 9 p.m. (ET) kickoff at Livestrong Sporting Park.
Los Angeles (10-11-3) had won four times during a five-game undefeated streak, but remained 11 points off the top in fifth place after the loss.
Johnson delighted the huge crowd with the opening goal less than six minutes into the match. Mauro Rosales delivered a pass from the right side to the near post and Johnson turned a header inside the far post.
Montero added his goal early after half as he ran onto a loose ball in the box and hit a half-volley with his momentum taking him toward the sideline back to the near post in the 52nd. It was his sixth goal of the season.
Caskey scored his goal from 35 yards, as he capitalized with Galaxy goalkeeper Josh Saunders off his line following a challenge on Johnson in the 61st. Rose added his first career goal in the 88th with a finish at the right post.
After the Open Cup final, Seattle visits San Jose on Saturday for a huge clash in MLS. The Galaxy will play at Chivas USA on Sunday, although the teams share The Home Depot Center.
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Aug 5 10:58 PM
- Seattle Goal - Rose 1 (Rosales), 89th minute
Galaxy 0, Sounders FC 4 2nd - 90'Aug 5 10:55 PM
- Seattle Goal - Caskey 1 (unassisted), 61st minute
Galaxy 0, Sounders FC 3 2nd - 63'Aug 5 10:28 PM
- Seattle Goal - Montero 6 (unassisted), 52nd minute
Galaxy 0, Sounders FC 2 2nd - 54'Aug 5 10:19 PM
- Seattle Goal - Johnson 10 (Rosales), 6th minute
Galaxy 0, Sounders FC 1 1st - 8'Aug 5 9:17 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 5 9:09 PM
- Sounders' Johnson collects MLS Player of the Week honor Mon
- Cahill's late goal sees N.Y. down L.A. Sun
- Johnson's brace helps surging Sounders topple FCD Sun
- Red Bulls, Galaxy set for high-profile clash May 17
- Sounders, FCD lock horns at CenturyLink May 17
- Donovan, Keane shine as Galaxy crush Union May 15
- Union out to turn home form around vs. L.A. May 14
- Teibert's brace helps 'Caps snap winless streak May 11
- Sounders roll past 'Quakes May 11
- 'Caps aiming to end winless run vs. Galaxy May 10
- Sounders hope to continue strong run against 'Quakes May 10
- Traore leaves it late for Seattle May 8