N.Y. rallies from two goals down to top PortlandAug 20, 2012 - 1:23 AM Harrison, NJ (Sports Network) - Heath Pearce scored seven minutes from time as Red Bull New York scored three unanswered goals to rally for a 3-2 win against the Portland Timbers on Sunday night at Red Bull Arena.
Bright Dike and Darlington Nagbe scored inside 32 minutes for the Timbers, but Kenny Cooper scored his 14th goal this season and Tim Cahill followed with his first MLS goal as New York answered in a three-minute span in the first half.
Pearce headed a cross from Jan Gunnar Solli inside the right post in the 83rd, sealing a come-from-behind win for New York. The Red Bulls have nine wins and three draws at home this season.
New York (13-7-5) won for the fourth time in its last six overall, and climbed within two points of Sporting Kansas City for first in the Eastern Conference ahead of their showdown at Livestrong Sporting Park on Aug. 26.
Portland (5-13-6) remained winless on the road, losing its ninth match against three draws in 12 away fixtures this season. The Timbers are winless in eight, and last in the Western Conference.
The Timbers were in position to end their road woes just over a half hour into the game, as Dike and Nagbe stake the visitors to a surprise lead. Dike scored at the left post in the eighth and Nagbe scored off a turnover in the 32nd.
But New York responded before halftime, as Cooper turned a cross from Solli to the left post in the 43rd and Cahill deposited a rebound from the edge of the area in the 45th.
The 2-2 score held until the closing minutes, when Solli drove a cross in from the right and Pearce got in position from 12 yards to turn a header inside the right post for his second goal this season.
Portland will try to turn its season around Saturday, when it hosts Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Jeld-Wen Field.
- PORTLAND: 2
NEW YORK: 3
Aug 19 9:00 PM
- New York Goal - Pearce 2 (Solli), 83rd minute
Timbers 2, Red Bulls 3 2nd - 85'Aug 19 8:50 PM
- New York Goal - Cahill 1 (unassisted), 45th minute
Timbers 2, Red Bulls 2 1st - 45'Aug 19 7:54 PM
- New York Goal - Cooper 14 (Solli), 43rd minute
Timbers 2, Red Bulls 1 1st - 44'Aug 19 7:51 PM
- Portland Goal - Nagbe 5 (Zizzo), 32nd minute
Timbers 2, Red Bulls 0 1st - 39'Aug 19 7:46 PM
- Portland Goal - Dike 1 (Zizzo), 8th minute
Timbers 1, Red Bulls 0 1st - 11'Aug 19 7:18 PM
- PORTLAND: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 19 7:09 PM
- Red Bulls, Galaxy set for high-profile clash 6:33p
- Portland resumes Cascadia Cup play in Vancouver 2:20p
- Surging Timbers rout Chivas USA May 12
- Revs, Red Bulls settle for a point May 11
- Surging Timbers welcome Chivas to Jeld-Wen May 11
- N.Y. out to end road drought vs. New England May 10
- MLS suspends Alvarez, fines Union and Timbers coaches May 10
- Cooper's PK helps FCD draw Timbers May 8
- Henry's double helps New York hold off Montreal May 8
- Timbers, FCD put unbeaten streaks on the line May 7
- RBNY tests winning streak against Montreal May 7
- Cahill lifts New York past Columbus May 4