Timbers top 'Caps to snap winless streakAug 26, 2012 - 4:56 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - It took almost two months, but the Portland Timbers have finally claimed their sixth win of the 2012 Major League Soccer season.
Portland had not won a league game since July 3, going 0-6-2 over that stretch.
But the Rose City club claimed a 2-1 derby win over Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Jeld-Wen Field on Saturday to snap its eight-game winless drought and climb right back into the race for the Cascadia Cup.
Darlington Nagbe and Kenny Miller traded goals inside the final four minutes of the first half, but it was Franck Songo'o's brilliant free kick in the 55th minute that proved to be the difference as it helped Portland (6-13-6) improve to 24 points on the season.
Vancouver (10-10-7) has lost three league matches in a row, putting its potential playoff berth at stake - the 'Caps sit just five points ahead of FC Dallas for the final postseason slot.
Portland nearly grabbed the lead in the 27th minute, but Bright Dike's headed effort was denied by the woodwork.
Nagbe helped ease the lingering pain of that near-goal, opening the scoring just before halftime. The 22-year-old collected a pass from Jack Jewsbury, drifted inside and showed great composure to fire a shot past Joe Cannon.
The 'Caps were able to pull one back before halftime as the Timbers failed to clear their lines following a corner kick. Jay DeMerit pumped the ball back into the box as Miller beat the offside trap to slot the equalizer past Donovan Ricketts.
But Portland clawed its way back, restoring its one-goal lead within the first 10 minutes of the second half thanks to Songo'o's inch-perfect free kick.
Vancouver pushed for equalizer, but its task was made more difficult in the 84th minute when referee David Gantar issued striker Darren Mattocks a straight red card for leading with his elbow when challenging for header.
Ultimately, playing down a man in a tough Jeld-Wen environment proved to be too much for Vancouver as the visiting 'Caps were held to yet another defeat.
- VANCOUVER FC: 1
Aug 26 12:31 AM
- Portland Goal - Songo'o 1 (unassisted), 55th minute
Vancouver FC 1, Timbers 2 2nd - 55'Aug 25 11:52 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Miller 1 (DeMerit), 45th minute
Vancouver FC 1, Timbers 1 1st - 44'Aug 25 11:26 PM
- Portland Goal - Nagbe 6 (Jewsbury, Alexander), 41st minute
Vancouver FC 0, Timbers 1 1st - 42'Aug 25 11:20 PM
- VANCOUVER FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 25 10:38 PM
- Portland brings unbeaten run to L.A. 6:33p
- 'Caps hoping for revenge vs. Chivas 6:28p
- Miller collects MLS Player of the Week honor Mon
- Miller shines as 'Caps rally past 10-man Revs Sun
- Portland tops FCD to extend unbeaten run Sat
- New England tests defensive prowess against Whitecaps Fri
- Portland tests unbeaten run against FC Dallas Fri
- Neagle's late winner lifts Seattle over Vancouver Jun 9
- Paladini helps Fire rally for draw with Timbers Jun 8
- 'Caps resume Cascadia Cup play with trip to Seattle Jun 7
- Fire, Timbers square off at Toyota Park Jun 7
- DCU acquires Rochat from Vancouver Jun 6