Galaxy topples RSL as Donovan leads comebackJun 21, 2012 - 3:33 AM Sandy, UT (Sports Network) - Landon Donovan propelled the Los Angeles Galaxy to a 3-2 comeback win over Real Salt Lake on Wednesday at Rio Tinto Stadium as he scored two goals and assisted on another.
The hosts dominated the early part of the match and took a two-goal lead in the first 25 minutes with goals from Kyle Beckerman and Alvaro Saborio.
But the Galaxy chipped away at the lead and Donovan netted the first of his two goals shortly before the half-hour mark, while he set up the equalizer for Mike Magee five minutes after the break.
And the U.S. international kept going, scoring in the 68th minute to put his team in front, allowing the Galaxy to claim a second successive win following a three-game losing streak.
RSL entered the match on a seven-game unbeaten run, and it sure looked like that streak would continue based on the first 25 minutes of play.
Fabian Espindola was causing plenty of problems for the L.A. defense and he set up the first goal after nine minutes by pulling the ball back for Beckerman to finish from six yards.
David Beckham went close with a free kick in the 22nd minute, but Salt Lake doubled its advantage two minutes later as Espindola's low cross was redirected past goalkeeper Josh Saunders by Saborio.
The comeback started in the 29th minute when RSL defender Tony Beltran handed Donovan a goal with a terrible back pass that allowed him to cut in front of goalkeeper Nick Rimando and roll the ball into the empty net.
Magee and Donovan combined well in the second half and teamed up on the equalizer in the 50th minute with Donovan playing Magee into the area, where he rolled a shot past Rimando and inside the far post.
Donovan went from provider to scorer in the 68th after a well-weighted ball from Magee in midfield drew Rimando off his line. But Donovan got to it first and rounded the 'keeper, rolling home the go-ahead goal with ease.
Substitute Javier Morales nearly became the hero in stoppage time for RSL, but his shot from inside the area just managed to sail over the crossbar.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
REAL SALT LAKE: 2
Jun 20 11:13 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Donovan 4 (Magee), 68th minute
Galaxy 3, Real Salt Lake 2 2nd - 70'Jun 20 10:45 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Magee 3 (Donovan), 50th minute
Galaxy 2, Real Salt Lake 2 2nd - 50'Jun 20 10:27 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Donovan 3 (unassisted), 29th minute
Galaxy 1, Real Salt Lake 2 1st - 30'Jun 20 9:48 PM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Saborio 7 (Espindola), 24th minute
Galaxy 0, Real Salt Lake 2 1st - 25'Jun 20 9:44 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 1
1st Half - 15'
Galaxy 0, Real Salt Lake 1 1st - 15'Jun 20 9:33 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 20 9:18 PM
- RSL completes road trip against sputtering Goats Fri
- Red Bulls, Galaxy set for high-profile clash Fri
- Donovan, Keane shine as Galaxy crush Union Wed
- Union out to turn home form around vs. L.A. Tue
- Teibert's brace helps 'Caps snap winless streak May 11
- Impact leave it late against RSL May 11
- 'Caps aiming to end winless run vs. Galaxy May 10
- Montreal, RSL hope to inch closer to first place May 10
- Garcia lifts RSL over Revolution May 8
- RSL attempts to build momentum against Revs May 7
- Driver's strike lifts Houston past L.A. May 6
- Strong second half pushes RSL past Vancouver May 4