L.A. scores two late goals to draw VancouverJul 19, 2012 - 4:24 AM Vancouver, BC (Sports Network) - David Beckham scored his sixth goal this year and Jose Villarreal added his first career MLS goal, as the Los Angeles Galaxy scored twice late to tie Vancouver Whitecaps FC, 2-2, on Wednesday.
Gershon Koffie and Barry Robson scored in the first half for Vancouver, but a Beckham goal in the 81st minute and a Villarreal strike 6 minutes later helped Los Angeles escape BC Place with a point.
Los Angeles (8-10-3) finished a three-match road trip unbeaten. The Galaxy won at the Chicago Fire and the Portland Timbers in previous two matches.
Vancouver (8-6-7) saw its winless streak reach four matches. The Whitecaps are just 1-3-3 in their last seven games.
Koffie opened the scoring in the 18th minute when he was left space at the top of the area to line up a left-footed blast that he deposited into the bottom- right corner for his second goal this season.
Scotland international Robson, who recently joined Vancouver, added his first MLS goal in the 27th with a perfect snap header to the top-right corner.
L.A. did not have a shot on goal in the first half, and Koffie helped deny the Galaxy their first goal in the 70th when he cleared a ball off the line after it bounced off the crossbar.
Koffie followed with a shot that Galaxy goalie Josh Saunders deflected off the crossbar in the 80th, before L.A. pulled the first goal back seconds later.
Donovan settled a rebound off the right post, rolled a ball back to Beckham at the top of the area, and the former England captain drove a first-time shot to the left post to leave Joe Cannon no chance.
Robson drove a shot off the frame minutes later as Vancouver looked to put the match away, and Los Angeles capitalized 3 minutes from time. Juninho delivered a pass across the top of the box, and Villarreal sent a shot into the top-left corner.
Whitecaps FC had one last chance to pull out three points, but Robson's bullet from 40 yards out was pushed over the bar by Saunders in stoppage time.
L.A. returns home to play Chivas USA on Saturday. Vancouver hosts the San Jose Earthquakes on Sunday.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
VANCOUVER FC: 2
Jul 19 12:01 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Villarreal 1 (Juninho), 87th minute
Galaxy 2, Whitecaps 2 2nd - 89'Jul 18 11:55 PM
- Los Angeles Goal - Beckham 6 (Donovan), 81st minute
Galaxy 1, Whitecaps 2 2nd - 83'Jul 18 11:49 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Robson 1 (Lee), 27th minute
Galaxy 0, Whitecaps 2 1st - 29'Jul 18 10:39 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Koffie 2, 18th minute
Galaxy 0, Whitecaps 1 1st - 20'Jul 18 10:30 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
VANCOUVER FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 18 10:11 PM
- Vancouver tops San Jose to climb to second place Aug 10
- L.A. returns to action to face struggling Dallas Aug 9
- Playoff push continues for both Vancouver, San Jose Aug 9
- Galaxy signs Panama GK Penedo Aug 5
- Timbers, Whitecaps share the points at Jeld-Wen Aug 4
- Timbers out to bounce back vs. Whitecaps Aug 2
- Vancouver's Sanvezzo earns Player of the Month award Aug 1
- Hoppenot sends 10-man 'Caps to first home loss Jul 27
- Rapids roll past Galaxy Jul 27
- Mastroeni returns to Colorado with Galaxy Jul 26
- Union face tough test against Whitecaps FC Jul 26
- Donovan to replace Keane on MLS All-Star roster Jul 26