Seattle downs Vancouver in Cascadia Cup tiltAug 18, 2012 - 10:04 PM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Seattle Sounders FC jumped back into the win column with a crucial derby win on Saturday, grabbing two second-half goals en route to a 2-0 defeat of Vancouver Whitecaps FC in the latest installment of the Cascadia Cup.
The Sounders suffered a late loss last time out, conceding a stoppage-time winner to Steven Lenhart to fall to the San Jose Earthquakes, 2-1.
But the Emerald City club erased any lingering feelings left over from the defeat as Fredy Montero and Eddie Johnson powered the Sounders (11-6-7) to 40 points on the season.
Vancouver (10-9-7) has lost two in a row to stay put on 37 points.
Seattle controlled much of the match and could have found itself up by several goals at halftime.
Instead, the breakthrough did not come until the 64th minute when second-half substitute Montero made an immediate impact, pouncing on Jeff Parke's layoff and sweeping the ball past Joe Cannon.
The Sounders continued to push and ultimately grabbed an insurance goal three minutes from time.
Mauro Rosales found Brad Evans on the right side of the box and the Sounders midfielder slid a brilliant ball across the face of goal to find Johnson, who was arriving at the back post to punch home his 11th goal of the season.
- VANCOUVER FC: 0
Aug 18 5:59 PM
- Seattle Goal - Johnson 11 (Evans, Rosales), 87th minute
Vancouver FC 0, Sounders FC 2 2nd - 87'Aug 18 5:53 PM
- Seattle Goal - Montero 8 (Parke, Rosales), 64th minute
Vancouver FC 0, Sounders FC 1 2nd - 65'Aug 18 5:31 PM
- VANCOUVER FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 18 4:09 PM
- Sounders' Johnson collects MLS Player of the Week honor Mon
- Johnson's brace helps surging Sounders topple FCD Sun
- Valencia helps 10-man Timbers earn draw with 'Caps Sat
- Sounders, FCD lock horns at CenturyLink May 17
- Portland resumes Cascadia Cup play in Vancouver May 17
- Teibert's brace helps 'Caps snap winless streak May 11
- Sounders roll past 'Quakes May 11
- 'Caps aiming to end winless run vs. Galaxy May 10
- Sounders hope to continue strong run against 'Quakes May 10
- Traore leaves it late for Seattle May 8
- Seattle, SKC tussle at Sporting Park May 7
- Strong second half pushes RSL past Vancouver May 4