Silver Stars hang on to edge MercuryJul 4, 2012 - 2:35 AM San Antonio, TX (Sports Network) - Becky Hammon put home the go-ahead bucket with 1:05 to play and the San Antonio Silver Stars held on for an 82-81 victory over the Phoenix Mercury on Tuesday.
Hammon finished with 22 points, while Danielle Adams paced the Silver Stars with 24 points and six rebounds in their fourth consecutive win.
DeWanna Bonner scored a game-high 38 points and pulled down eight rebounds in the Mercury's second consecutive defeat.
With the game tied at 75, Hammon drove hard to the right, put home the layup and was fouled. She sank the ensuing free throw to give the Silver Stars a 78-75 lead.
Bonner fired a three-pointer at the other end that was off the mark. Charde Houston came down with the offensive rebound for the Mercury, but missed the put-back attempt and was forced to foul Adams.
Hammon stepped to the line and made a pair of free throws to extend the lead to five with 38.5 seconds to play.
Following a timeout, Alexis Hornbuckle drained a three-pointer to cut the deficit to two. Hammon made two more free throws with 2.4 seconds to play following an offensive board by Sophia Young. Bonner made a trey at the buzzer for Phoenix as it fell to 4-11 on the season.
- PHOENIX: 81
SAN ANTONIO: 82
Jul 3 10:06 PM
- PHOENIX: 54
SAN ANTONIO: 51
End of 3rd
Jul 3 9:36 PM
- PHOENIX: 38
SAN ANTONIO: 31
Jul 3 8:56 PM
- PHOENIX: 23
SAN ANTONIO: 16
End of 1st
Jul 3 8:31 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jul 3 8:09 PM
- McCoughtry, Taurasi named WNBA Players of the Week Mon
- Mercury squeak past Shock in OT Sun
- Ogwumike leads Sparks in rout of Silver Stars Sun
- Mercury scorch Sparks Sat
- Lynx pull away from Silver Stars in second half Jun 11
- Delle Donne lifts Sky over Silver Stars Jun 9
- Mercury down Fever for first win of season Jun 8
- Robinson, Silver Stars hand Sky first loss Jun 7
- Moore, Lynx crush Mercury Jun 6
- Storm hang on late to down Mercury Jun 2
- Silver Stars hold on to down Sparks Jun 1
- Delle Donne leads Sky past Griner's Mercury May 27