Sun take down Liberty in season openerMay 19, 2012 - 10:39 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Asjha Jones made the go-ahead basket with 31.4 seconds remaining, as the Connecticut Sun escaped Madison Square Garden with a 78-73 win over the New York Liberty in the season opener for both clubs.
Jones finished with 12 points and Tina Charles posted 19 points and 13 rebounds for the Sun, who had five players score in double figures but needed a late 7-0 run to come away victorious Saturday.
Cappie Pondexter paced the Liberty with 19 points, while Plenette Pierson chipped in 15 points and 10 boards in defeat. New York had eight second-chance points to Connecticut's 20.
Jones tied the game at 71-all with a fadeaway, then hit a go-ahead 16-footer in crunch time just as New York missed two free throws and three straight shots during the Sun's game-sealing run.
Both teams made the Eastern Conference playoffs last season and bowed out in the first round.
- CONNECTICUT: 78
NEW YORK: 73
May 19 6:18 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 33
NEW YORK: 41
May 19 5:05 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
May 19 4:12 PM
- Mystics acquire Hollingsworth from Liberty Apr 15
- Lynx acquire McCarville in three-team trade Mar 1
- Carson re-signs with Liberty, Smith signs as free agent Feb 26
- Sun name Anne Donovan head coach Jan 3
- Thibault out as Sun coach Nov 20
- Bill Laimbeer appointed Liberty's coach/GM Oct 25
- Fever bury Sun to advance to Finals Oct 11
- Zellous lifts Fever over Sun in Game 2 Oct 8
- Sun down Fever in Game 1 Oct 5
- Sun score final 14 points, sweep Liberty Sep 29
- League MVP Charles leads Sun to Game 1 win over Liberty Sep 28
- Sun G Lawson takes home WNBA's sportsmanship award Sep 27