Sun take down Liberty in season openerMay 19, 2012 - 10:39 PM New York, NY (Sports Network) - Asjha Jones made the go-ahead basket with 31.4 seconds remaining, as the Connecticut Sun escaped Madison Square Garden with a 78-73 win over the New York Liberty in the season opener for both clubs.
Jones finished with 12 points and Tina Charles posted 19 points and 13 rebounds for the Sun, who had five players score in double figures but needed a late 7-0 run to come away victorious Saturday.
Cappie Pondexter paced the Liberty with 19 points, while Plenette Pierson chipped in 15 points and 10 boards in defeat. New York had eight second-chance points to Connecticut's 20.
Jones tied the game at 71-all with a fadeaway, then hit a go-ahead 16-footer in crunch time just as New York missed two free throws and three straight shots during the Sun's game-sealing run.
Both teams made the Eastern Conference playoffs last season and bowed out in the first round.
- CONNECTICUT: 78
NEW YORK: 73
May 19 6:18 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 33
NEW YORK: 41
May 19 5:05 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
May 19 4:12 PM
- Late free throws lead Sun over Fever Sep 15
- Hill, Mystics down Liberty Sep 15
- Catchings, Fever hold off Liberty Sep 13
- Mystics sink club-record 12 threes in rout of Sun Sep 13
- Bass' late layup lifts Sun over Dream Sep 11
- Mercury upend Liberty behind Bonner's outside shooting Sep 10
- Fever clinch playoff berth with win over Sun Sep 7
- McCoughtry guides Dream over Liberty Sep 6
- White helps Sun end skid Sep 6
- Wiggins carries Shock past Liberty Sep 1
- Mercury take out Sun Sep 1
- Catchings' double-double vaults Fever past Liberty Aug 30