Lynx hand Sparks first loss of seasonMay 25, 2012 - 2:25 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Seimone Augustus dropped in a game-high 25 points as the Minnesota Lynx outlasted the Los Angeles Sparks, 92-84, on Thursday.
Rebekkah Brunson added 17 points and seven rebounds while Lindsay Whalen had 14 points and Maya Moore contributed 11 with seven boards for the Lynx, who improved to 3-0 on the season.
Candace Parker and Kristi Toliver netted 23 points apiece to pace Los Angeles, which suffered its first loss of the season to fall to 2-1 on the year.
Nneka Ogwumike finished with 20 points and nine rebounds in a losing effort.
Minnesota trailed by as much as nine late in the third quarter, but chipped away at the lead to trail 70-66 entering the fourth.
The Lynx then opened the final frame with back-to-back baskets by Brunson and Whalen to tie the score at 70 and it remained a one-possession game until the closing moments of the fourth quarter.
Toliver's three-pointer knotted the game at 82 with just under three minutes left in the contest, but consecutive treys by Candice Wiggins and Augustus put Minnesota on top for good and the Sparks would get no closer than four the rest of the way.
- LOS ANGELES: 84
May 24 10:02 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 47
May 24 8:54 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
May 24 8:11 PM
- Sparks sign Ross to multi-year extension Thu
- Lynx win second WNBA title in three years Oct 11
- Minnesota's Moore wins WNBA Finals MVP Oct 11
- Augustus, Lynx take 2-0 lead over Dream Oct 8
- Lynx rout Dream in Game 1 of WNBA Finals Oct 7
- Lynx sweep Mercury, return to WNBA Finals Sep 29
- Whalen, Lynx rout Mercury to take 1-0 lead in West finals Sep 27
- Griner's late bucket sends Mercury to West finals Sep 24
- Augustus helps Lynx sweep Storm Sep 22
- Parker leads Sparks over Mercury Sep 22
- Lynx pull away, top Storm in Game 1 Sep 20
- Taurasi helps Phoenix take Game 1 over LA Sep 20