Charles' free throws push Sun past DreamJun 17, 2012 - 9:21 PM Atlanta, GA (Sports Network) - Tina Charles buried a pair of free throws with 3.1 seconds remaining to lift the Connecticut Sun to a 75-73 victory over the Atlanta Dream on Sunday at Philips Arena.
The Sun trailed, 73-69, with two minutes remaining in the fourth after Lindsey Harding nailed a pair at the line, but the Dream wouldn't score again as Connecticut reeled off six straight points to complete the comeback.
Asjha Jones connected on back-to-back buckets around a Harding miss to knot the game at 73-73 with just over a minute to play.
The two teams then exchanged empty possessions before Charles corralled an offensive rebound with under 10 seconds to play and was fouled on the put-back attempt.
After Charles buried both at the stripe, Sancho Lyttle's jumper at the buzzer was off the mark, allowing the Sun to escape victorious.
Charles recorded a double-double with 23 points and 22 rebounds, while Renee Montgomery chipped in 19 points to help the Sun improve to 3-0 on the road this season.
Armintie Price paced the Dream attack with 20 points and Lyttle netted 15 points and grabbed nine boards, but Atlanta saw its seven-game home winning streak against the Sun come to an end.
- CONNECTICUT: 75
Jun 17 5:02 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 36
Jun 17 3:53 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jun 17 3:08 PM
- Atlanta picks up Thomas from Washington Feb 19
- Dream re-sign McCoughtry Feb 7
- Sun name Anne Donovan head coach Jan 3
- Thibault out as Sun coach Nov 20
- Fever bury Sun to advance to Finals Oct 11
- Zellous lifts Fever over Sun in Game 2 Oct 8
- Sun down Fever in Game 1 Oct 5
- Fever down Dream to advance to conference finals Oct 2
- Fever even up series in Atlanta Sep 30
- Sun score final 14 points, sweep Liberty Sep 29
- Harding, Dream upset Fever in Game 1 Sep 28
- League MVP Charles leads Sun to Game 1 win over Liberty Sep 28