Pondexter, Liberty hold off SkyJul 7, 2012 - 4:07 AM Rosemont, IL (Sports Network) - Cappie Pondexter scored a team-high 19 points and the New York Liberty held off the Chicago Sky, 64-59, on Friday.
Essence Carson added 14 points and 11 rebounds for the Liberty, who have won two in a row. Leilani Mitchell and Kara Braxton donated 12 and 11 points, respectively.
Sylvia Fowles ended with 20 points and nine boards for the Sky, who have dropped five of six. Tamera Young had 16 points.
Fowles' steal and layup with 1:19 left pulled the Sky within two, 61-59. Chicago had a chance to tie or go in front after the Liberty turned the ball over on a shot clock violation. But Swin Cash turned the ball over.
Pondexter made two key free throws with 19.3 seconds remaining to make it a 63-59 game.
- NEW YORK: 64
Jul 6 10:41 PM
- NEW YORK: 38
Jul 6 9:29 PM
- NEW YORK: 18
End of 1st
Jul 6 9:08 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jul 6 8:43 PM
- Sky give Prince extension Fri
- Mystics acquire Hollingsworth from Liberty Apr 15
- Lynx acquire McCarville in three-team trade Mar 1
- Carson re-signs with Liberty, Smith signs as free agent Feb 26
- Bill Laimbeer appointed Liberty's coach/GM Oct 25
- Sun score final 14 points, sweep Liberty Sep 29
- League MVP Charles leads Sun to Game 1 win over Liberty Sep 28
- Vandersloot leads Sky over Mystics Sep 22
- Liberty use big second half to top Shock Sep 22
- Dream eliminate Sky from postseason contention Sep 20
- Shock win, but Liberty clinch playoff spot Sep 20
- Wauters helps Storm take down Sky Sep 19