Pondexter, Liberty hold off SkyJul 7, 2012 - 4:07 AM Rosemont, IL (Sports Network) - Cappie Pondexter scored a team-high 19 points and the New York Liberty held off the Chicago Sky, 64-59, on Friday.
Essence Carson added 14 points and 11 rebounds for the Liberty, who have won two in a row. Leilani Mitchell and Kara Braxton donated 12 and 11 points, respectively.
Sylvia Fowles ended with 20 points and nine boards for the Sky, who have dropped five of six. Tamera Young had 16 points.
Fowles' steal and layup with 1:19 left pulled the Sky within two, 61-59. Chicago had a chance to tie or go in front after the Liberty turned the ball over on a shot clock violation. But Swin Cash turned the ball over.
Pondexter made two key free throws with 19.3 seconds remaining to make it a 63-59 game.
- NEW YORK: 64
Jul 6 10:41 PM
- NEW YORK: 38
Jul 6 9:29 PM
- NEW YORK: 18
End of 1st
Jul 6 9:08 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Quarter - 10:00
Jul 6 8:43 PM
- Fever cruise past Sky, return to conference finals Sep 22
- Fever beat top-seeded Sky to open playoffs Sep 20
- Fowles, Moore repeat as WNBA Players of Month Sep 17
- Hill, Mystics down Liberty Sep 15
- Lynx down Sky to secure home-court advantage in playoffs Sep 14
- Sky rally late to down Dream Sep 13
- Catchings, Fever hold off Liberty Sep 13
- Sky beat Mercury on Delle Donne's buzzer-beater Sep 11
- Mercury upend Liberty behind Bonner's outside shooting Sep 10
- Delle Donne powers Sky past Mystics Sep 8
- January guides Fever past Sky Sep 6
- McCoughtry guides Dream over Liberty Sep 6