Izturis, Figgins lead Angels to comeback win over A'sOct 1, 2006 - 5:20 AM ANAHEIM, California (Ticker) -- It's too little, too late for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
The Angels rallied for four runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to post a 7-6 victory over the Oakland Athletics.
After Oakland wrapped up the American League West crown earlier in the week, Anaheim won the first two games of this meaningless series, and Maicer Izturis started the decisive rally Saturday when he smacked a two-run double to center off Ron Flores (1-2) which sliced the deficit to 6-5.
"We're very proud of the way these guys have been playing from being 11 games under .500 in May," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "They came up with big hits in key situations that helped us win tonight."
Four batters later, Chone Figgins hit a two-run single to center off Kirk Saarloos to give the Angels a 7-6 lead.
"Figgy earned the right to bat cleanup from what he did yesterday," Scioscia said. "He came up with a couple of big hits for us tonight."
Hector Carrasco (7-3) got the win, pitching three scoreless innings. Francisco Rodriguez struck out the side in the ninth for his 47th save.
"Mentally, I wasn't prepared, down by three with two outs," Rodriguez said. "After that I just left it go, tried to get warm fast and the adrenaline took over. I just tried to make good pitches."
Nick Swisher hit a three-run homer and Eric Chavez smacked a solo blast for Oakland.
"I didn't want to end my season on this note," Anaheim starting pitcher Joe Saunders said after being struck in the calf in the first inning. "I tried to battle through it, but it just locked up on me. I left a pitch up to Swisher and I paid for it."
Saunders allowed five runs in the first inning and departed after getting just two outs.
Garret Anderson and Adam Kennedy homered for the Angels.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22