Anthony carries Nuggets in exhibition matchupOct 11, 2006 - 6:11 AM DENVER (Ticker) -- Carmelo Anthony scored 21 points and Reggie Evans added 17 and 11 rebounds as the Denver Nuggets posted an 118-102 victory over Turkish powerhouse Efes Pilsen in an exhibition matchup.
Anthony is coming off an impressive showing with team America during this summer's World Championships, where he received a bronze medal. The 6-8 swingman posted a career-high in scoring with 26.5 points per game last season.
Tempermental Kenyon Martin scored just four points for Denver, which shot 42 percent (36-of-84) from the field and held a commanding 76-38 edge in points in the paint. Martin was suspended by the team for insubordination during last season's playoffs.
Earlier Tuesday, Denver picked up a three-year option on coach George Karl's contract, which now runs through the 2009-10 campaign. Karl took over midway through the 2004-05 season for interim coach Michael Cooper, who coached 18 games after Jeff Bzdelik was fired.
J.R. Smith scored 15 points for Denver, which used a 12-4 run for a 35-22 advantage to start the second quarter. A 2004 first-round selection, Smith was acquired in the offseason from the Chicago Bulls in exchange for two future first-round picks.
Horace Jenkins scored 26 points and Marcus Haislip contributed 23 for Eles Pilsen, who shot 43 percent (45-of-82).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Nuggets miss postseason for a 3rd straight year Apr 14
- Playoff destination sealed, Blazers beat Nuggets 107-99 Apr 14
- Nuggets-Trail Blazers Preview Apr 13
- Improved Kemba Walker has Hornets back in the playoffs Apr 12
- Jazz use 24-0 run in 3rd quarter to beat Nuggets 100-84 Apr 11
- Jazz-Nuggets Preview Apr 9
- Tim Duncan, depleted Spurs fall to Nuggets 102-98 Apr 9
- Spurs rest every starter except Tim Duncan against Nuggets Apr 8
- Spurs-Nuggets Preview Apr 8
- Westbrook's 17th triple-double leads Thunder over Nuggets Apr 6