Harrington leads Pacers to win in openerOct 12, 2006 - 2:16 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Al Harrington gave the Indiana fans a taste of what the upcoming season could be like with him back in uniform.
Harrington scored 21 points and grabbed nine rebounds and Danny Granger added 16 as the Indiana Pacers posted a 103-89 victory over the New Jersey Nets in the preseason opener for both teams.
Drafted out of high school by the Pacers in the first round of the 1998 draft, Harrington spent six seasons with Indiana before being traded to the Atlanta Hawks prior to the 2004-05 campaign.
After two losing seasons with the Hawks, Harrington was traded back to the Pacers this past offseason for a 2007 first-round pick.
Granger scored five points during a decisive 13-2 burst as Indiana cruised to the win.
First-round pick Shawne Williams added seven points and five boards in 20 minutes for the Pacers, who outscored the Nets, 30-11, in the closing quarter.
Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson, who was charged with felony criminal recklessness and a pair of misdemeanors for his actions outside a strip club last week, did not play.
Antoine Wright scored 23 points and Richard Jefferson added 13 in 18 minutes for New Jersey, which was outscored, 60-38, in the paint.
Nets first-round selection Marcus Williams collected eight points and seven assists in 31 minutes while Jay Williams, who was signed to a non-guaranteed contract in the offseason, scored a basket but committed four turnovers.
Williams is trying to make a return to the league after suffering a near fatal motorcycle accident during the summer of 2003.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Nate McMillan takes over as head coach of the Indiana Pacers May 16
- Indiana Pacers promote assistant Nate McMillan to be team's head coach May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Pacers seeking new voice after parting ways with Frank Vogel May 5
- Indiana Pacers not renewing contract of coach Frank Vogel May 5