Stoudemire, Suns top Lakers in preseason contestOct 16, 2006 - 4:55 AM LAS VEGAS (Ticker) -- Amare Stoudemire was in midseason form against the Los Angeles Lakers.
Stoudemire had 15 points and grabbed nine rebounds in 30 minutes as the Phoenix Suns posted a 99-91 victory over the Lakers in a preseason contest.
After missing much of last season with a knee injury, Stoudemire scored eight points in the fourth quarter and finished shooting 5-of-11 from the field.
Stoudemire underwent microfracture surgery on his left knee last October, but returned for a short stint at the end of last season. However, he was shut down with stiffness and pain in the joint as well as swelling in his right knee just prior to the playoffs and many doubted if he would ever return to full strength.
Shawn Marion scored 16 points and two-time MVP Steve Nash added 14 on 6-of-8 shooting for the Suns, who were playing their first preseason game in the United States after playing one in Italy and two in Germany.
Smush Parker netted 17 points for the Lakers, who played without star guard Kobe Bryant for the third straight preseason game. Bryant practiced with the team for the first time on Friday after recovering from offseason knee surgery.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Kobe Bryant's animated short gets assist from John Williams May 5