Head leads Rockets past MavericksOct 18, 2006 - 3:29 AM DALLAS (Ticker) -- Luther Head is showing the Houston Rockets he can be one of the complimentary parts they're looking for to surround Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady.
Head scored 13 points and rookie Steve Novak added 12 to lead the Rockets to a 72-69 exhibition victory over the Dallas Mavericks.
A first-round pick in 2005, Head made 3-of-5 3-pointers to lead Houston in scoring for the second game in a row. The 6-3 guard from Illinois scored 20 points in the Rockets' 107-93 win vs. Atlanta on Friday.
Novak scored all of his points in the second half as the Rockets shot 37 percent (25-of-67) from the field.
Yao and McGrady combined for just 17 points on 7-of-21 shooting.
The Mavericks were led by Josh Howard, who made four 3-pointers en route to 22 points. The fourth-year forward made 8-of-13 shots and had eight rebounds for Dallas, which is winless in four preseason games.
The Mavericks shot 34 percent (26-of-76) as they continue to play without stars Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry, both of whom watched from the bench in street clothes.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- NBA China to open basketball-themed Playzone in Shanghai May 17
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- Rockets must find coach in wake of first-round ouster Apr 29
- Warriors reach second round with MVP Stephen Curry sidelined Apr 28
- Warriors roll into second round of playoffs without Curry Apr 28
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 27
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Rockets-Warriors Preview Apr 26
- Warriors look to advance, Clippers, Heat aim for home wins Apr 26