Salmons, Kings hold off Lakers in preseason contestOct 18, 2006 - 5:29 AM LAS VEGAS, Nevada (Ticker) -- John Salmons looks to be a valuable free agent signing by the Sacramento Kings.
Salmons put the Kings ahead for good with a three-point play and Mike Bibby scored 16 points as Sacramento posted a 96-91 preseason victory over the Los Angeles Lakers.
Last season, Salmons averaged only 7.5 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists for the Philadelphia 76ers. However, the Kings, expecting him to be an emerging talent, signed him to a five-year, $25.5 million contract in the offseason.
On Tuesday, the 26-year-old Salmons proved he can score down the stretch. With 2:38 remaining in the fourth quarter, the 6-7 swingman converted a conventional three-point play to snap an 89-89 tie.
Salmons had 10 points, three rebounds and one assist in 21 minutes.
Bibby shot 5-of-10 with six rebounds and three assists. Kevin Martin added 14 points for the Kings, who shot 40 percent (29-of-72).
Ronny Turiaf netted 15 points for the Lakers, who played without injured starters Kobe Bryant (knee), Kwame Brown (shoulder) and Chris Mihm (ankle surgery).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9