Powe sparks Celtics' comeback against NetsOct 19, 2006 - 2:44 AM BOSTON (Ticker) -- Leon Powe gave the Boston Celtics something to think about.
The rookie forward came off the bench to score 11 points and grab 15 rebounds, as the Celtics erased a 23-point second-half deficit in a 94-90 preseason victory over the New Jersey Nets.
A second-round pick by Denver in June's draft, Powe had played just four minutes in the preseason and had not seen the floor in the last three games.
But the 6-8, 240-pound Powe helped his chances at making the roster Wednesday, pulling down 10 of his boards on the defensive glass.
Powe was the major spark for the Celtics, who trailed, 71-48, with four minutes left in the third quarter and 77-61 entering the final period.
Boston outscored New Jersey, 33-13, in the final quarter.
Paul Pierce, returning to the lineup after sitting out Tuesday's game against the New York Knicks with a strained left hip, added 18 points for the Celtics, who shot 46 percent (33-for-72).
Second-year forward Ryan Gomes added 15 points, including three straight baskets that put Boston ahead to stay.
Vince Carter scored 23 points and center Nenad Krstic added 21 for New Jersey, which shot 39 percent (31-for-79) and fell to 0-4 in the preseason.
Carter, Krstic and Bostjan Nachbar combined for 41 points as the Nets stormed to a 54-36 halftime lead.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Hawks confident heading into 2nd round rematch with Cavs Apr 29
- Hawks overwhelm Celtics, move to 2nd round with 104-92 win Apr 29
- Hawks, Celtics alone on playoff stage in close out game Apr 28
- Stevens: Celtics' Thomas on track to play Game 6 vs. Hawks Apr 27